promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 3 months ago

Is a 3 hour commute too much?

It'd either be for 3 days a week, or 4 days a week (10 hour days). I'd be in management and will be making 70k. I currently make 30k.  The commute is 1hr 30min. Majority of it is on the Interstate. I will go in at 7 am, so i'd have to be up at 4:30 to make it in time so traffic wont really be too hectic. Is this too much? After a year of this job i can move to a location much closer (30 min). Reason i cant work at that location is due to it not being open yet. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Its can be done but consider the cost of staying at a hotel or b&b for the week days.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It depends on how much that job is worth to you.

• Katie
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

No - to work at all I MUST do that and have been doing that for OVER 20 years.

• 3 months ago

I would not do such a long commute.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

ONLY YOU can place a value on your time to be in traffic and not playing with the kids, taking the dog for a walk ,sleeping in or cuddling with your buddy.

It is for a YEAR not the rest of your life.

Your work days need to have limited activity you do not have much available time.

You have three days off to do your laundry. Make meals for the whole week and other stuff.

Some have longer commutes and some shorter.

Your time has value to YOU. So how much do you need to be paid to wake up ten minutes earlier.

How much will you give up to cuddle with your buddy ten minutes more?

How much is an extra half hour playing with cat worth to you?

• 3 months ago

Looks to me like you will be able to afford to move closer to work. I would not do such a long commute.

• 3 months ago

Just keep track of your mileage back and forth to work so you can deduct the allowance when you itemize your taxes at the end of the year. IF you really like the job and plan to stay on for a very long time, then you can decide to relocate in the future. Might be two to three years before you settle in and arrive at a decision in year three or four. You're boss will also know if he wants to keep you around and make the move decision easier.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Is this going to be the last of your commute questions?

• ?
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

There's people who spend more than that stuck in traffic for a minimum wage 9-5. it sounds like a pretty good deal to me

• JimTom
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

With such a great pay and responsibility, 1hr and a half each way is not too bad, and fairly common. If it was 3 hrs each way i would be re considering. And being only 3-4 days a week i think its a reasonable compromise. All the best with the job

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.