Abraham REALLY did not want his son Isaac to marry a Canaanite.  Why not? Was he prejudiced?

Favorite Answer

Prejudiced?  Certainly not.  Abraham worshipped the true God along with his family.  The Canaanites did not.  As a matter of fact, their way of life was truly immoral and their worship was detestable.  Abraham did not want his son unequally yoked with a non-worshiper of the true God.  Moreover, the promised seed was coming through Isaac and the inheritance of the land had been promised to Abraham.  He knew full well that the error of the Amorites had not yet reached its full measure.  Genesis 15:16.  God was going to judge the Canaanites but at this point the possibility of improvement on their part actually still existed.  

Still, according to Merrill F. Unger: “Excavations in Palestine have uncovered piles of ashes and remains of infant skeletons in cemeteries around heathen altars, pointing to the widespread practice of this cruel abomination (child sacrifice).” (Archaeology and the Old Testament, 1964, p. 279) Halley’s Bible Handbook (1964, p. 161) says: “Canaanites worshipped, by immoral indulgence, as a religious rite, in the presence of their gods; and then, by murdering their first-born children, as a sacrifice to these same gods. It seems that, in large measure, the land of Canaan had become a sort of Sodom and Gomorrah on a national scale. . . . Did a civilization of such abominable filth and brutality have any right longer to exist? . . . Archaeologists who dig in the ruins of Canaanite cities wonder that God did not destroy them sooner than he did.”   Insight to the Scriptures Volume 1 - Canaan.

Knowing everything Abraham knew about the true God Jehovah, he did not want Isaac in any way connected to the people of Canaan.  Isaac would play a very important role in the outworking of God's promises.  Marrying a Canaanite woman would work against such promises.

Hannah J Paul

• Roberta B

Thanks for the additional historical and archaeological points. Seems clear that Abraham and the Canaanites did actually exist!!

He didn’t want Isaac to marry one of the women in Caʹnaan, because these people worshiped false gods. 

No.  He wanted was best for his son and best for his descendants.  He prayed for wisdom and knew God did not want Isaac marrying a woman who was not a believer in the true God. 

No, not at all, Read the account of Abraham  at Genesis chapter  28 verses 3-18 tells how Abraham was obedient also he was a worship Jehovah as did his son Isaac, Canaanites was not known to be worshippers of  Jehovah.

I think the point of all the patriarchs going back to Mesopotamia for a wife is to say the Israelites are pure blooded Akkadians, a proud race and the first to create an empire by and large, while they were among the "degenerates" of Canaan.

There was a snake in the snow, dying from the cold. He called out to a man walking by to help him. 

"NO! You'll bite me!" the man protested.

"I will not bite you. Please sir! Pick me up and put me in your coat and carry me to a warm place. I swear I will not harm you. I'm dying. Please sir, help me!"

So the man relented and picked up the almost frozen snake and put it in his jacket. He walked and walked until he found a warm place and put the snake down on the ground. As soon as he did the snake turned and bit him.

Now dying from the fatal wound, the man cried out about this unfairness... "You said you wouldn't bite me!"

At that the snake looked back at the man before slithering away and said "Sir, you knew what I was before you picked me up."

The Canaanites worshipped blocks of wood as their gods. Anyone who loves their children would want only what is right for them. Marrying into nations of those who degrade themselves by bowing down to created things, rather than the Creator of all things, amounts to self-loathing. You would have to hate God AND yourself to unite with those who do such perverted things. 

• Thumbs up for TRYING. But, if someone said "You must do what I claim an Invisible Thing told ME  to tell YOU to do, or the Invisible Thing ( which loves you INFINITELY)  will have you tortured for a thousand  million billion fukctillion CENTURIES!", would you you buy into THAT group?  

Marriages with other cultures were political in nature and Abraham did not want political ties with them.

If you define ˈprejədəs/ as a 

preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience. Then no he was not prejudice. In God’s design when two people marry (man and woman) they become one flesh. Jesus supported this in stating: 

And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE, 

5 and said, 'FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH'? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate." (Matthew 19:4-6 NASB)

Then how could Isaac marry a non-Yahweh worshipping woman? It is the same issue for Christians “Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take away the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? May it never be! Or do you not know that the one who joins himself to a prostitute is one body with her? For He says, "THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH." (1 Corinthians 6:15-16 NASB)

So eventually the law instituted that foreign wives should be excused from the Jewish people. But the were stubborn and didn’t obey leading to false worship. This even happened to King Solomon who married foreign wives and worshipped their false gods. The sin was his not the foreign wives. But many foreign women did turn to Yahweh and followed Him. They were accepted as wives for men of God. The grandmother of king David or the harlot of Jericho are great examples in the Bible of the people of faith being justified and true children of God. It breaks the race, past track record, political affiliation, economic standing, or any other prejudices one can think of to say no to two believers now in the age of grace. 

Because the Canaanites were one of the most wicked cultures in that time frame, God was preparing to destroy their whole culture. Plus, God wanted Abraham's son to be of the bloodline that would bring in Christ. This would not have happened if he married such godless people.

• Thumbs UP for admitting that YOUR God was POWERLESS to produce a Messiah in any OTHER way.  And I've hears so MANY rumours that He really exists, and really IS "All-Powerful".

• thanks for that information, i really did not know this.