Why GTA games don't work on my Windows 10?

When I had Windows 7 I played San Andreas and every gta games and everything was fine. But now it's Windows 10 and whatever gta I try to install they all don't work. I tried San Andreas and GTA 3 they can't save the game, show the error. Game is working but I can't save the progress after 1st mission. I've noticed that the game doesn't create User files folder in Documents as other players have it. Yes, it all was from torrents (pirates I guess). But what if I will buy the game from Steam - will it work. If Every gta from many torrent trackers failed... How can I be sure that I'll pay money and it'll be actually working?

Favorite Answer

First up, the obvious thing here is that YOU'RE PLAYING A PIRATED VERSION (from the game Torrents). -- Those versions RARELY get any patches or updates & aren't supported by the game developers & publishers.

Second, newer OS's may retire (or at least depreciate) certain components OR have newer security restrictions that the original OS it was designed for may not have. -- It's VERY COMMON for any games that were released for Windows XP or older to store your game save files in the same place as the program files.  When the User Access Control (UAC) system was added to Windows Vista onward, any modifications to files within the Program Files program would trigger a prompt...  which is why games released after Vista would store your save game files into your Documents folder (or User file folder).

If you wish to play any older Windows games (XP or older), like GTA: SA (which was originally released for Windows XP), you'll need to check the "Run this program as an Administrator" in the compatibility properties to allow the game to run normally (as the minor inconvenience of getting a UAC prompt every time you want to run it).

If that doesn't properly work, you can enable the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" & select the support version of Windows (going back to Windows XP SP2 at the oldest version) to improve operational compatibility.

This was something that I've used with some of my old PC games (that were on CD-ROM, before I repurchased / replaced them with an updated digital version) to get them properly working.

I will note that the versions of the GTA series on Steam are UPDATED FOR COMPATIBILITY with modern systems (& current licensing agreements), so it'll work with minimal issues since such problems will be reported to Valve (which will forward it to Rockstar, the developer) to get addressed.

I'm not sure, Because of the most GTA games can be fully worked and tested on all of the Windows softwares. For example, like GTA 3 and Vice City... Like the one where I drive around in the streets as possible by listening to some MP3 music from the very first volume of Christmas With The Chipmunks in the third GTA game. Then I also listen to some MP3 music from The Chipmunk Adventure in GTA: VC as well. So I gotta make sure that it will be good without the CD-ROM as a part of a ripping process, Like it can be used in an EXE format as possible. And last but not least, I can only play some of my fully tested GTA games on Windows XP. Which it can be located on my HP Pavilion a1017c Desktop Computer as well. You got that?

Check if your laptop is fast enough to run big games

You know how most 360 games wont play on xbox one due to lack of reverse compatibility? Its basically the same thing with windows only not quite as bad. Most of the games will run, but not all of them will work the way they're supposed to. 

• shroud

lots of games have that same issue, the games were made for win7 or earlier

the game programs don't work well with the faster speeds and add memory

win10 is supposed to have have ability to run games by acting like an older windows program BUT I find it does not work well with most of my older games

search game forums and you should be able to find downloads that will help for your games

I can say that GTA San Andreas from Steam definitely works, I have the steam version and it works fine. It can crash on rare occasions, make sure you save regularly. And that is with Windows 10.