promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

running away to Europe at 16?

im writing a shortish story my creative writing class about a kiddo stealing his parents credit card and running away to backpack europe at 16. i have no idea how the process of getting there would work out realistically or if thats even possible some how. anyone wanna give me a detailed description of what tanner (main character) would have to do? thx for the help!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Orla C
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

The only way you could realistically get to Europe without your parents buying you a ticket is if another adult bought the ticket for you. If you are under 16, you would not be permitted to fly without your parent's explicit permission, they would have to bring you to the airport and sign you into the care of the airline, and they'd have to bring ID too. Some airlines are okay with 16 year-olds checking themselves in, but buying the ticket would be problematic. The only way I could think of is if the adult buying the ticket had an ulterior motive for getting you away from your parents .... like if he/she was a sex trafficker. Otherwise your use of someone else's credit card would be tracked and the card would be blocked in a matter of hours, you wouldn't be able to use it at all. And as for booking a hotel room aged younger than 18 - LOL, no. You have to be legally an adult to sign a contract, and that's 18 in most countries. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

No chance.

Children can't book flights. Children can't travel without parental consent. Children can't book hotel rooms in the majority of places.

• 3 months ago

that one wont work ..his parents will cancel the card ..and no one in europe will allow a child to stop on own

• 3 months ago

It doesn't work in the present. Set it in the past. It's true that regulations are so tight now that a minor can't travel alone out of the country. It just wouldn't happen. Try something else- he went to Europe with his parents, but then took off and started backpacking. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

I am writing a story. It is FICTIONAL.

I NEED it to be accurate and true??????????? WHY

CREATIVE writing means you CREATE the situation.

A stow away on a boat, a plane whatever.

Maybe a disguise and fake identification.

IT IS YOUR STORY it is not an extensive study in the ways to get around border security systems.

give me a detailed description NO you do not NEED it.

So this kid has a credit card CANCELLED by his parents.

CHILDREN do not legally get to wander the  planet at will.

• ...Show all comments
    • grendel1 month agoReport

Simply because it's your book to write doesn't mean you can make the kid fly away on a fire-breathing unicorn and escape into Europe unnoticed. When writing a REALISTIC FICTION story, as this person seems to be doing, you have to make it REALISTIC. 

• 3 months ago

It would never happen you would be returned home

• yuh3 months agoReport

why.

• 3 months ago

Hey! It's another "wanna" question!                     

• 3 months ago

*sigh* You want us to give you a detailed description? Are you effing serious? You're the writer. It's your job to do the research.

Here's one big piece for you: A minor cannot legally purchase a plane ticket or board a plane without a parent or guardian's consent. Now, get off the internet and do some real research.

• ...Show all comments
    • Whatever
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Yahoo is not research, kid. Also, with security being as tight and restrictive as it is these days it would not be likely much less possible for a minor to forge papers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.