promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 3 months ago

Fabrics that don't fray?

I need to make bandages for a cosplay that wrap around my forearms, but I'm not sure what fabric to use. I don't want something that'll fray as I'm working with it or after wearing my costume a few times.

Any advice?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Fabrics that do not Fray are:

Felt

Fleece

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

Knits

Spandex

Fleece

Velvet

Fur

Faux suede

Pleather

Vinyl

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Gauze for wounds.

• drip
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Why not use real bandages, gauze? 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

Sewing a seam in to any fabric prevents fraying. If you don't want thread lines use tape or glue inside the fold. If you don't want a fold in it materials that are fray resistant and less likely to fray are

Polyester

Nylon

Acrylic

Suade

Leather

Faux Leather (somewhat...the backing does fray but the fake leather it self does not)

A fabric that does not fray at all, ever, doesn't exist. Other than leather materials fabric is made by weaving. Fraying happens when the weaves become loose. That's what one of the purposes for making seams is for, to prevent fraying.

Even just putting a piece of tape along the edges without folding it over will help prevent fraying.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Hem the edges         

• Nancy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Any realistic bandages are going to be made out of gauze, which also has the advantage of being inexpensive. Just wrap gauze around your forearms. Gauze won't fray except where it's been cut, but you can keep it from fraying by using medical tape to tape the ends where you cut it.

So you start off with the end that is cut after you've put a piece of tape across it and then folded it over to cover the cut end and keep it from fraying. You then proceed to wrap your arm just like you're bandaging it. When you've got yourself all bandaged up satisfactorily, you go a few more inches and cut it. Then remove the gauze enough that you can tape that end like you did the first.

From that point on, you do your costume by starting the bandage by wrapping it around your arm so that the taped end is covered and then you continue wrapping your way up your forearm until you run out of bandage and then you take that's already been taped and tuck it in and underneath the bandaging so you can't see it.

• LLW3 months agoReport

Felt will work if you are looking for color.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.