How much of an impact can a wing mirror with stand.?

Driving at about 20 mph I heard a bang. I thought I had just run over an empty juice box or something. About a quarter mile on my niece who was sitting on the passenger side showed me that my wing mirror was pushed in a bit but not all the way. No other damage to my vehicle. I am hoping I did not cause any damage to the other vehicle. But feeling guilty. I read wing mirrors can take quite a bang. Hoping that is correct. 

I think my wing mirror may have come into contact with the wing mirror of a parked vehicle. 

There's no need to feel guilty. On both of my last two cars, I knocked the thing clean off.

You need to just look at the darned thing. I would think 20 mph impact is a substantial whack and likely would damage the mirror. If it isn't broken, you have a pretty tough mirror. Now, drive more carefully.

If it didn't damage your mirror, then it's unlikely it did much damage (if any) to the other vehicle.

You might retrace the drive and see if you can tell which one you  hit.

In the future, be more careful.

• Erik

If it was just pushed in, that's no big deal.  There's no need to feel guilty.  On both of my last two cars, I knocked the thing clean off.

Driving at about 20 mph I heard a bang.

If you were driving at 20 mph close enough to hit a parked car, your license should be REVOKED.

I thought I had just run over an empty juice box

You wouldn't heat that.

Your mirror is still attached. It withstood that incident.

A carefully aimed cart in a parking lot can do it too. In particular a full cart.

YES at 20 MPH it matters if your mirror hit something like a concrete post or some other thing with some give like a tree branch.

As a good driver that regularly uses their mirrors to check what is happening around them what is the real excuse you needed a passenger to notice your mirror had moved?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1plhXTv8EE

Youtube thumbnail

It takes very little force to move the side mirrors. Mine get pushed in by brushes at the automatic car wash.