Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 9 months ago

Why is my car hard starting?

My car has been hard starting and the temperature gauge goes up when the car starts but then goes all the way down and stays that way. This all started after I disconnected my battery so that i could clean my terminals. Before I disconnected the battery the car had no issues. My car is a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.8 Base motor with about 170,000 miles on it.

Favorite Answer

Take the radiator cap off and find out if there is coolant in the radiator. Don't just look at the coolant reservoir.

I'd take the battery cables off and touch them together for a minute to discharge all the capacitors in the electrical system.

Make sure the key is not on.

See if that helps.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Bort

The temp gauge isn't going to rise and show temperature until the engine is running for at least 5 to 10 minutes. There needs to be heat there for it to read heat. That is normal. I'm not sure what you mean by "hard starting". Check to insure the battery cables are on correctly and securely. You shouldn't be able to turn them. You didn't say what you "cleaned" the terminals with. Maybe you accidentally shaved them down and the cable clamps aren't on them securely anymore. Tighten the cables.

Check for trouble codes.  Check engine coolant temperature (ECT) data with a scanner.  ECT sensor could be bad.

Because you haven't consulted a mechanic.