Niah asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How can I convince my mom to let me move to the basement ?

Currently I have a big room upstairs over the garage. My dad spends a lot of time in the garage but my dad has friends over often till all hours of the night, plays loud music/ tv shows and also snores when he sleeps. Being right above him I hear all of this very clearly. It’s very annoying the main problem is he does these things at all hours of the night and early morning. I have tried talking to him about it but he does not care. I am often woken up in the middle of night to loud noise and I’m a light sleeper and it is hard for me to fall back asleep once I am woken up. I want to move into the basement so I can get some more quiet time but my mom won’t allow me. We have nothing down there but old stuff and a few couches, no one uses the space and anything that is in the way I could easily move to my current room. She says I’m not responsible and can’t trust me down there until I finish college next may. I don’t see what the difference is between letting me move down there now and in a year. I am not a bad or sneaky person so I don’t understand what she means by she can’t trust me and when I ask she never tells me a reason. 

I cannot keep living like this I don’t think I have slept a full night since November when they were on vacation. How could I convince my mom to let me move to the basement. I have also considered calling the police to complain on my dad because I would imagine our neighbours are frustrated as well but I don’t want my dad to get in trouble.

• Foofa

No doubt your neighbo(u)rs ARE frustrated by this. But until such time as you're allowed to move to the basement you should get a thick rug to put on the floor to insulate against the noise and maybe sleep with earplugs in. Ideally once you finish uni you'd be looking to move completely out of the house anyway.

you might not be able to, i would just move out

You dont

You can get ear plugs or sound canceling ear phones and stop whining like a toddler. You don't own the house and have no right to whine and demand the basement

• A

You have already asked and been told no and your parents do not trust you, nothing is going to change their minds. if I were you i would not try calling the police, if you do, your parents will find out the call was from you and likely they will kick you out, so get noise cancelling headphones and deal with it

Those sound like good arguments. Or you might be able to soundproof your room.

• zeno

Second option buy sleep ear plugs. I have

Lots of noisy birds and neighbors in my

Apartment and it helps. They are cheap

And last about a week. When they expand

Too quickly it's time to replace them. I also

Cut part of the off to make them a little

Shorter and set almost all the way in. Push

Each tightly together while rolling them and

Insert then in each ear and hold them and

Count to 100 so they fully expand. You should

Be able to pull them out easily when you need

To when you wake up. I'm not sure if they will

Completely solve every noise your dad makes

But it will lower the noise a lot. Give it a try

Before simply sneaking into the basement

To sleep each night. You don't have to completely move down there just sleep down

There is no other option works. You can

Always say. I was told not to move down

There but no one said I can't simply sleep

Down there. Right? That is a opening or

Door to go in if nothing else works. Ok?