Can you tell me why these two french sentences are different?

I'm teaching myself french

why do i use "du" over "de la" at times?

Example:

Je fais (du) piano

(I do the piano)

Je fais (de la) guitare

(I do the guitar)

is there something I was supposed to learn before doing Verbs?

In France we use ' du ' in front a masculine word and ' de la ' for feminine words.

Examples:

_ ''Je fais de la danse ''. I'm a dancer / I do dance.

_ ''Je joue du piano ''. Don't use the verb ' faire ' for talk about play piano. 

Note: To play = jouer.

_ '' Je mange du gâteau '' / I eat cake / I'm eating cake.

I highly recommend that you should not try to teach yourself French. If you have missed something so very basic as grammatical gender, it is a clear sign that you need a real live teacher who can prioritize your learning, answer your questions, and serve as a model for correct pronunciation.

• RE
      1 month agoReport

Good idea, but if you have a chance to take a live class or study with a live tutor, it would be much better and you would learn faster. Good luck!

You should realize that "du" is actually a standard contraction for "de le" ("de le" is never used, since it's grammatically incorrect). "Du" refers to masculine nouns. "De la" refers to feminine nouns.