can my landlord charge me rent if my partner is hospitalized, meaning do they need a proof letter from the hospital?

I have a question if anyone can answer importantly, I know people are telling me to find my own roommate and so it s nearly end of the month already and what might bother me is that the landlord will accuse me to pay my moms side of her rent an I am only aloud to pay my own side, which means I can only make enough as I am suppose to, her worker told me she is being treated with care and will not pay. The question is she is behind rent by a lot and I don t know how to solve proof, how is this going to resolve??

You live there, you have to pay rent, period. The ENTIRE rent needs to get paid. Your medical issues do not change that.

• Bort

Rent is to be paid, period. Bills and rent don't stop or decrease because someone responsible to pay them is hospitalized.

"I am only aloud to pay my own side.."  What?  If you're on the lease then you are jointly and individually responsible for the rent.  If your mother can't pay then you have to pay it all.

your mother must pay rent whether she is in a hospital or not

Assuming you are both on the lease, then you are both fully responsible for the rent.  Your likely options are to pay the whole thing (get what you can from your mother), or eventually get evicted.  

If the lease is up then you could exercise a 3rd option and give notice and move, but you will still have to pay all rent (somehow) up until you are able to move out. 

If there is no way you can afford the rent you could try requesting the landlord to let you out of the lease. Maybe they'll do it if you found a replacement tenant or if you paid a fee (1-2 months rent) but they might just refuse to let you out period.

• Judith

First of all it is allowed - not aloud.

The LL doesn't care who does or doesn't pay the rent as long as it is paid.  If not paid in full when due, expect to be evicted.  Leasing is a business; the LL isn't your parent.  You or your mother signed a lease which is a legally binding document.  It covers the amount of rent and when that amount is due.

• Judy

If the rent isn't paid, you'll be evicted.

are you in the US?  if you are on the same lease, all of the rent needs to be paid.  if you get subsidized housing and your household income is reduced for the month, contact your caseworker and see if they can adjust how much you owe.

If you are a minor (a child), then no.  Your mother owes the rent.  If you are adult, then you owe the rent.  If your mother won't pay, kick her out.  However, that's your business whether you want to or not but if she doesn't pay, then you have to, or you will both be evicted.  How you and your mother decide to share the rent is your business, not the landlord's.  His only concern is that he receives ALL of it.  What portion each of you pays is up to you and your mother.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

if you are both on the lease both are responsible. if only half is paid both are late. not 50/50..