If my mom and i own a house together (we split the ownership 50/50) and I'm over 18, can my mom tell me where I can or can't go in the house?

No, she cannot.

Doesn't make any sense. Just because two people are half-owners of a house, it doesn't mean either one has to live there, let alone both.  If one or both of you want to be your own "tenants", sharing possession of the home, you would need to work out an agreement, preferably in writing, to avoid disputes later.

Probably not but its a good idea to have a room or so that you each have which you can lock, ie you each have your own bedroom, or something.  Also, do you pay half the expenses related to keeping the house up. If not then your mom still can't tell you where to go but she can force a sale of the house.

Also, 18 is the age of majority in most states but if you are still a minor (in maybe 10 states you are still a minor even at 18), then she probably can still order you around a bit.

I strongly suggest (whether you are a minor or not) that you try to negoitiate something with your mother rather than simply telling her you can do what you want.

• Judy

no,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That depends.  Did you but the house together or was it her house and she put 50% of it in your name?  If you purchased the house together, then you do your thing and she should do hers.  Butting heads is normal, because of your relationship, so sit down and tell her your expectations.  However, if it was her house and she put your name on half of it, then you are still her child, living in her house (despite owning half), so follow her rules. 

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experienclaw experience.

She is entitled to her privacy, you are entitled to your privacy, so make nice.