Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Really not enjoying uni?

I'm just really not enjoying uni and I don't know what to do. I'm in first year and I've made some friends, but not many. I'm really close with one of my flatmates but whenever she's away for the weekend, it just ends up with me sat in my room alone all weekend. I wanted to defer a year because I knew I wasn't in the right place mentally to come to uni this year but I left it too late. So, having started uni with bad mental health, it's only getting worse. I've started eating my feelings and sleeping like 12-14 hours a night, not getting up until 2/3pm. I'm studying law, and I'm so behind on all my work. Basically, I'm just not in a great place right now, and I want to transfer universities, but I've already signed off on my flat next year, and it's just me and one other girl and I feel I can't let her down by dropping out, else she'll have no one to live with. It's reached the point where I'm literally counting down the days to graduation, which isn't for another 3 years. I just feel like I'm wasting my teenage years shut up in my room every weekend, and I used to go clubbing all the time at home, but all of my friends here don't drink/aren't interested in clubbing. I just want to meet some likeminded people to make the next few years less painful but I don't know how :(

I get that uni isn’t all about clubbing, of course my main priority here is my degree, I’m not saying I want to go out every night but I need a balance - I can’t work 24/7 and all I’m saying is I’d like a to make more friends in a city 5 hours away from my home and my family. I don’t think that’s entirely unreasonable.

First of all you sound depressed so you may reach a counselor in your campus to get psychological help.

Second of all... You aren't supposed to be enjoying all the time at university. You are there to get a degree, not to go clubbing. Clubbing is totally optional, not the main reason why you go to uni. If you go to uni to get wasted and party, avoid getting all that debt and drop.

• Foofa

You need to get yourself into counseling before you waste all your tuition money. But at the end of the day these aren't years "wasted" if you actually complete your education and are therefore able to earn a decent living.

• Ricky

Join a sorority. Maybe try making gay friends. They are usually alot cooler. Join clubs. Their is so much. Yes i know. I used to be in your position. I was actually alone all the time so I was worse than you. I was eating alone in the cafeteria every day so I used to be a loner in college but I decided to join clubs and look around club to club to see which has the more cool ppl like down to earth ppl. So I did and i wasn't as a loner as I used to be.