C asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How to get along with in-laws who suck and whose values are the exact opposite of your own? ?

I have been married for five years. While I love my husband's parents and brother, their values are the exact opposite of mine. The parents were extremely selfish while they were growing up and they treated them (my husband and his brother) like crap!!!!! They basically did the bare minimum the law requires them to do as parents (food, clothing, shelter, public education). I'm from a family that believes children should be put first and sacrifices should be made in order to give them the best life possible and to save for their college tuition. Additionally, my husband and I are conservative. His family is very liberal and weird. For instance, the mom has said very pro-abortion things in the past that pissed me off and she and her husband take disgusting nude sexual pictures of them and they keep them publically available on a computer that is not password protected and in a public area of the house. (I'm talking butt plugs and messy analingus and things like that. It's appalling.) They leave their poop-covered sex toys out in the open (their other son still lives with them) and they are both swingers. Obviously this disgusting behavior conflicts with my personal values.  I find myself internally angry towards them when around them because of these factors. Also, they have taken the liberty of commenting on my weight in the past, which I didn't like. Does anyone have tips for getting along with in laws like this? 

• Foofa

So you're a conservative woman who chose to marry into a family of aging hippie swingers. Curious. They're not going to change clearly but if your husband were as upset by this as you are he wouldn't be exposing either one of you to this. You may just be stuck (but again, YOU put yourself into this situation by marrying him).

• C2 weeks agoReport

Lmao only his parents are like that. Also, I didn't know every detail of how ****** up they are until AFTER we got married. Also, I wouldn't refuse to marry someone based on their parents. Also duh I know I put myself into this situation, that's why I'm asking for advice lol!

Impressive you know about butt plugs. You sounds like a conservative.

• C1 month agoReport

Well I am conservative and damn proud of it lol! Not really sure what you're getting at with this one. 

i would just not be around them as much as possible

• C1 month agoReport

Thank you I'm glad someone agrees

Respect and obey your in laws !

• C1 month agoReport

You're funny

They're just miserable people. Hopefully, in time your husband will come around.

• C1 month agoReport

Lmao I hope so too

Stop going over there. You can't reason with people like that. Don't even try!