Natalia asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Does just dry food fill a dog up?

I’ve been feeding my dog dry food twice a day, but he’s also a lab so he loves to eat ANYTHING you give him. Doesn’t matter if he just ate or how much he ate. He’ll still eat it. My step dad noticed that (he doesn’t know how labs are and he has to be right all the time) and said that “dry food doesn’t fill a dog up. Only leave dry food down for them to snack on but feed them wet food for their meal.” Is just dry food okay, or should I stick in some wet food? 

You best answer will come from a vet. Also be sure to read the feeding directions on the label of your food.  The amount of food is in proportion to your dogs size and weight.

It sounds like a younger one...............they have high food demands, they are good sized dogs.............more so if they are actually hunting dogs.

• Jojo

Most dried pellet type dog food is VERY concentrated and when it absorbs any sort of moisture it can swell up to twice its size and if fed dry, it absorbs digestive juices and will swell up as it passes through the dogs  system. So in MY opinion its always best to soak pellet food in water (hot or cold) depending on the `hardness` of the pellets. Very hard pellets need to be soaked overnight, and until nice an crumbly. Its very usual for owners to add some canned meat or frozen pet mince to a dogs dry (soaked) dog pellet food. 

Not soaking dry food before being fed to a dog,means it swells up INSIDE the dog and can be the cause of over feeding a dog, as when dry it hardly looks enough to satisfy, so people tend to feed too much at any one time. 

Labrador Retrievers are Notorious for being greedy eaters and will eat just about anything they are offered and not necessarily edible. Socks and toys and other objects are often removed from Labs stomachs by vets. 

Feeding your Lab twice a day should be enough to keep him fit and healthy. Never leave food down for a dog to graze on. Labs tend to get obese very quickly if fed too much. You SHOULD be able to `feel` your dogs ribs if you press lightly on his sides, but not be able to SEE them when he is standing at ease. Hope my answer helps a bit.....☺

Depends on which food you're feeding. If it's a kibble from a grocery store it's total crap. Mostly corn and with no real meat. Since there's no meat protein a dog has to eat a LOT of it to fill itself up. They want meat, you're givin them cereal.

If you're going to feed kibble it should be one that's made with real meat as the first ingredient and no grain.

But FAR better and so easy to do with a bigger dog like a Lab - feed raw. The Prey Model Raw Diet. It's far easier than you would think and not as expensive as you'd think, either.

Your dad is definitely WRONG.   Dry food does fill them and even more so than any other as it swells in the stomach to more than was in the bowl.   

Never leave a lab with dry food down all the time,   which is called 'free feeding' as they will just pig out on it and get too fat. 

A dog's stomach is far more elastic than a humans and can take far more food as this goes back to dogs in the wild who sometimes eat only once every few days.  They can take far more in one go than we could.  However,  they shouldn't because they can get bloat and especially with dry food because,  as said,  it expands much more in the stomach once it is wet. 

Wet food is what you feed for weight loss.  It doesn't have the grain in it that dry food has.

There is NOTHING that will "fill up" a food motivated lab (or any food-motivated dog, really).  They will eat until they bloat/puke and then eat some more.

My SIL feeds her lab a can of green beans with the dry food at each meal which she says helps.  It seems like a lot of sodium to me, but it's her dog.

"he loves to eat ANYTHING you give him. Doesn’t matter if he just ate or how much he ate. He’ll still eat it."  Yep, that's a lab.

IMO it's better to really focus on training so that your lab isn't annoying you and everyone all the time by begging, putting paws up on tables or counters, etc.   

You know your dog will eat even if he/she isn't hungry and doesn't  need food.   Teach your dog to respect appropriate boundaries when it comes to food.   I do not allow my dogs in the kitchen (ever), nor do I allow them under the table.   Nor do I allow them to sit and stare at the table.   When there is food about, my dogs are told to go to their beds.   They obey because they respect me and want to please me.

If your lab doesn't give two shiits what you think and will completely ignore your instruction in hopes of getting a bite of this or that, you may want to enlist the help of a trainer.

Having a food-crazy dog is not pleasant for humans and if the dog won't listen to you, it can be dangerous for the dog.

i would ask your vet about it

• marty

I only feed my dogs what I eat. I wouldn't feed that nasty dog food to them. My oldest is a 17 year old dachshund weighing 11 pounds and she is very healthy and her blood work we had done a week ago was excellent. She can still take the anesthesia to get her teeth cleaned. Her favorite is barbecue ribs.

• Natalia1 month agoReport

What is okay to feed to dogs and what isn’t? He doesn’t react well to chicken, he throws up and it causes runny stools 

• Tavy

We had labs for 40 years, they had one bowl of dry food in the evening, they all lived to a good old age.

Always have plenty of water down.

• Mark

Yes, it will fill the dog up, but unless the dog has dietary restrictions, eating the SAME thing every day, 2 times a day, is really monotonous.  Would YOU like to have tuna fish sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and dinner FOREVER?  Dogs, like humans, appreciate variety.