My friend only calls me when she has some trouble. I'm a doctor. I feel like she's taking advantage of me. What would you do?

I am a doctor. I like a girl who's my friend. I noticed that when she has a problem she calls for my help,when she's got some trouble she calls me,be it 2:00 AM or 2:PM. I'm the one she calls when there's trouble. Occasionally we hang out even when there aren't troubles and I gotta admit we have fun but I noticed that the only times she's eager to text or call me is when she needs something. AND that sometimes if while we're doing something together and one of their friends comes along I'm being ignored by her. Lately she ain't got real problems so she texts me way way less and when I do text her I can feel a mile away that she's not that eager to talk to me...but I'm damn sure that when she'll have some trouble (also medical related) I'm the one she'll call. What would you do? We haven't talked in about 5 days. What would you do?

• Edna

You are NOT a doctor. If you were, you wouldn't have the time or the inclination to worry about whether your friend calls you,or if she doesn't; or even WHY she calls you. 

As I said, you're not a doctor. How do I know?  A "real" doctor doesn't use words such as "gotta" and " ain't got" in a sentence, whether he's speaking or writing. He has too much formal education behind him to ever do THAT.  

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

Justin, you are not a "goddamn" doctor & you didn't spent 4 yrs.in "goddamn" medical school either. Real doctors don't use those words when they speak & most don't use them when they write. BIL is an MD & my sister is an RN, and THEY sure don't. They both have too much formal education to do so.

• Foofa

If these are medical problems you can always tell her it's unethical for you to treat her but that you'd be happy to refer her to another doctor. If she's just emotionally needy you may want to just cut her loose.

• Chanel

Sorry but it sounds like she wants you in the background as you are maybe the only person who listens to her tales of woe.

You have not spoken for 5 days. If I were you and she phones I would say "What's the problem now".

Most people have issues or problems but they should try to sort it out themselves.

She is wasting you time. Do not be a dumping ground for somebody else's garbage.

Go out socially with other people when you get invited out and hopefully soon you will meet a friend who does not burden you with tales of woe.

You're a doctor who uses 'ain't'? Really?

i wouldnt bother being friends with her if shes just going to use you like that

I'd not be quite so available whenever she calls. Don't answer the phone. Don't answer her texts. Certainly don't answer the ones in the middle of the night. If she's got medical problems then she can call 999 for an ambulance like everyone else. She's using you by the sound of it. Probably not consciously, but you have enabled her by being THERE whenever she snaps her fingers. Don't be so available in future. If she asks why you have drawn away you can tell her you've noticed she only wanted you when she had a problem and not at any other time. She may not want to hear that - but hey, it's not a lie is it.

Justin, sweetie... you're not a doctor