promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Does this sentence make sense? Is it grammatically correct?

Patricia shrieked as she was driven backwards by a sudden blow of Jonathan's fist.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Physically you don't have time to shriek when hit like that.

And it's redundant, all blows are sudden.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It's grammatically correct, and it 'makes sense' as we can all understand it, but it's rather clumsy.

• its, clumsy.  I like:

Suddenly Jonathan attacked and Patricia shrieked as she was driven backwards

• 1 month ago

Yes, it appears to be grammatically correct and it does make sense.            

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • GA41
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I believe it is grammatically correct and it makes sense.  In your sentence, "as she was driven backwards by a sudden blow of Jonathan's fist", is a prepositional phrase used as an adverb which modifies shrieked.

• 1 month ago

it makes sense to me

• 1 month ago

I'm afraid it isn't, Perspiring. Try "Shrieking, driving backward by a blowing of the fist of the dreaded John, she flew back and shrieked yet again because it was painful". Please don't thank me.

• 1 month ago

My suggestions:

Patricia shrieked as she was driven backward by a sudden blow from Jonathan's fist.

Patricia shrieked as she was driven backward by the sudden blow of Jonathan's fist.

Note: Backward is standard in American English and backwards is standard in British English.

• ...Show all comments
    • David S
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

That's why I mentioned it. Maybe you didn't read my entire answer. If you're going to attempt to correct others, at least take the time to know what was written.

• Speed
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's ungainly and I'd rewrite it, but other than the correction "from Jonathan's fist," it's got no mistakes.

I think the correction I'd make first is changing the passive voice of the part starting with "as she was driven" to active voice, then see how it reads.

• 1 month ago

a sudden blow from Jonathan's fist

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.