Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Does this sentence make sense? Is it grammatically correct?

Patricia shrieked as she was driven backwards by a sudden blow of Jonathan's fist.

Physically you don't have time to shriek when hit like that.

And it's redundant, all blows are sudden.

It's grammatically correct, and it 'makes sense' as we can all understand it, but it's rather clumsy.

• its, clumsy.  I like:

Suddenly Jonathan attacked and Patricia shrieked as she was driven backwards

Yes, it appears to be grammatically correct and it does make sense.            

• GA41

I believe it is grammatically correct and it makes sense.  In your sentence, "as she was driven backwards by a sudden blow of Jonathan's fist", is a prepositional phrase used as an adverb which modifies shrieked.

it makes sense to me

I'm afraid it isn't, Perspiring. Try "Shrieking, driving backward by a blowing of the fist of the dreaded John, she flew back and shrieked yet again because it was painful". Please don't thank me.

My suggestions:

Patricia shrieked as she was driven backward by a sudden blow from Jonathan's fist.

Patricia shrieked as she was driven backward by the sudden blow of Jonathan's fist.

Note: Backward is standard in American English and backwards is standard in British English.

• David S
      1 month agoReport

That's why I mentioned it. Maybe you didn't read my entire answer. If you're going to attempt to correct others, at least take the time to know what was written.

• Speed

It's ungainly and I'd rewrite it, but other than the correction "from Jonathan's fist," it's got no mistakes.

I think the correction I'd make first is changing the passive voice of the part starting with "as she was driven" to active voice, then see how it reads.

a sudden blow from Jonathan's fist