brigitte asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Can you have a family dog and an assistance dog?

I have autism and my psychologist recently recommended that it would be best for me to have an assistance dog.I have my beautiful  labradoodle called Gigi who’s super calm but she has a lot of problems (like jumping up and squealing when excited). I have tried training her but as she’s more of the family dog,none of my brothers and sisters follow the training that is involved which keeps putting her back a step.I was thinking of getting my OWN dog where I can train it myself and keep Gigi as a family dog.but I don’t know if that’s allowed.

That one??????ha,ha,ha,ha,ha

Do you mean an Emotional Support Dog? They do not require any training. Since you already have a dog, you don't need a letter from your psychologist. It is only if you live somewhere where pets are not allowed. The next up would be a Service Dog & that is something you cannot train your dog to do. & your disability probably wouldn't qualify you for a Service Dog.

So far you haven't stopped it from jumping up on people or getting over excited. This type of dog would not make a good Service Dog. It is just an Emotional Support Animal.

You already got what she was recommending, you have Gigi. She is your emotional support dog. But you cannot take her where only Service Dogs are allowed. She is your pet, your emotional support dog you go home to.

• Ocimom

If you have a limit restriction where you live that only allows one dog, then you can't get another dog - even if its a ESA.  If you don't have a limit or the limit is 2 pets, then you can get another dog as a ESA, but there is no guarantee this new dog will be trained enough for you or that the dogs will get along.

No such thing as an assistance dog. You are not blind, death or crippled or anything and there is nothing a dog can or will do for you that you can't do. You are perfectly capable of doing things and don't need a dog 

And since you can't even train the mutt you have there's no way you will train another dog. You are talking about an ESA, which is nothing more then a pet. It can't be any where pets are not allowed and rentals never have to allow them. You have a pet and don't need another one 

• You have autism?

That won't work with a mental illness as severe as yours. You need to be cured.

"Assistance dog"?  What will it be trained to do that you can't do for yourself?

You're talking about an Emotional Support Animal which is just a PET.  You can't take your dog with you to stores, school, the movies, etc. 

But TRAIN your dog so it's not so unruly.  Why haven't you bothered?  That's BS that if the others don't do what you're doing the dog won't be trained.  Just TRAIN HER, lazy one.

Gigi's current issues seem to be due to a LACK of training.  No dog (even a pet) should be allowed to JUMP ON PEOPLE.  It is not safe & a dog jumping on me & causing me to fall backwards is how I SHATTERED a wrist.  

Unfortunately, it has been my experience when you have a misbehaving or badly behaved dog, it will (generally) TEACH all of these habits to any new dog introduced to the home.  If Gigi is out of control, and you can't make progress with her training => due to your family, how do you think they will behave towards the new dog???  WHY do you ASSUME they will not interfere or not encourage  (and/or reward) MORE misbehavior?

I suggest you work towards MOVING OUT, before getting your own ESA dog.

You are allowed to have a service dog at a residence with up to two dogs, but like someone posted it will all depend on the rules of the household, if the current dogs are intact or have been spayed/neutered, the age of the dog(s) and the level of training the dog(s).

If the current dog(s) are untrained and unruly, have a barking habit or are in poor body condition, or are behind on routine vet visits then it’s up to the discretion of the facility that’s providing/training/sponsoring the trained service animal.    Again, there’s no set rule that days no but it is up to the facility to decide weather the dog will fit in the home and will be able to bond with the person in need of the dog and that everyone that will be handling the dog in the persons household is willing to follow the guidelines and rules when it comes to commands etc.

Most service dogs are not just brought to the home after you have learned the digs duo and abruptly left, there’s usually several weeks of checkins and visits to make sure the dogs still working with and bonded to the assigned handler.  Rarely there is a problem with a dog that’s been assigned to the handler not working out for one reason or another.  After several check in’s with the trainer the dog may be assigned in the home that had another dog or dogs.

If you know what facility you want to train your dog you may want to contact them to ask your questions, they may want to set up an interview with you (parents too if your a minor). They will go over what type of dog you will be needing, weather an esa or medical alert dog etc.  you would need to bring your doctors note with you to help the facility fill your nerds.

Good luck.

I do understand the need for an ESA and it certainly can help people with autism,  however,  if you just got another dog it would turn out the same as Gigi as it is the training that is needed and  by ALL the family.   A dog can't live in a family without all members respecting the same training routine. 

It is your parents that you must discuss this with.

The link provided by Intrinsic is good but it is about service dogs.  Your dog would not be a service dog but an emotional support animal  (ESA).   An ESA does not receive the professional and in depth training that a service dog should. 

I found this article that discusses that question.

https://sitstay.com/blogs/good-dog-blog/can-servic...

The rules may be different in different areas, but it looks like there is generally no rule against having a family dog as well as an assistance dog, however it can make things more difficult. Gigi may have to take some training in order to live with the other dog without getting in the way. If it's going to work, your brothers and sisters may have to take Gigi's training a bit more seriously.