Mike
Mike asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 month ago

what happens in America if you get cancer but you lost your job and health insurance?

• LAN

The same thing that happened to me.   I couldn't perform my job anymore so I had to go on social security disability and medicare.  In spite of the high cost of treatments I have never had any problem at all in receiving any treatment prescribed by the doctor.    Before I had to stop working I applied for assistance and ended up with most of the costs being written off or paid through assistance programs.   This is why I jump on the liars that keep posting about how no one can afford medical bills in the US.  Every time some idiot posts a question claiming that people are just allowed to die they never have anything other than a liberal opinion piece to back them up.

There was someone on an international cancer group, from the US, who had that happen to her. I as a Canadian got everything paid for. She had had surgery but needed radiation to follow. She had to go to a number of agencies, one after another, before she finally got on Medicaid(?). By that time, her tumour had regrown and removing it and following up with other treatment was hugely expensive.

This is not judgmental but years ago a man he was from Russia had cancer and died one day after he went to where he worked for over twenty years. There are other stories like that too but thinking about getting the cancer doesn't help.

• k w

maybe, go get public assistance, but I'm a contrarian, and would just do it the best way I know of........being 34th in healthcare, according to World Healthcare motivates me differently than it does other people.......

Then you flat line without a nurse monitoring and see the other side.