Doesn't it make more sense for people to be gay than straight?

If you think about it isn't it clear?

Having a relationship with the same sex means you can understand each other better in terms of what it feels to be a man/woman, and also understand each other better in sex because you have the same body parts.

Wouldn't that mutual understanding make more sense? 

Culturally wouldn't it be better for same sex relationships to be the norm, and having heterosexual sex to be seen more as a biological duty?

• Lauren
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I guess the points you give are reasonable, but I don't quite get at the reason for worrying too much about the question. You aren't going to convince straight people en masse based on a few logical points to go gay. 

I should say I'm not straight and I do wish more people were gay bc then it'd be so much easier to meet people like me. But I have heard counters.

Two people who are more similar (man/man or woman/woman) may understand one another more easily but it also potentially means all the negative traits are amplified. One very shallow example is that lesbians themselves sometimes lament over double periods in a relationship (though you would not convince lesbians that this is a dealbreaker so it's mostly just a joke or a practical obstacle to get over and they do in fact hurdle it fine). --

I should also say the mechanics of sex aren't really the end-all of what sex is to people. Attraction and connection can contribute to a sexual experience otherwise deemed mediocre. So yeah I'm sure straight people could enjoy homosexual encounters, but I imagine that's not gonna beat being with who they want to be with. 

But in mostly agreement with your implication, many societies are almost exactly as you describe only without the sex. In cultures where sexual relationships are highly regulated, same-sex bonds can be fairly strong. There are places only one sex can go. The majority of time a person spends is with members of their same sex. Even in the US, men and women live somewhat parallel lives outside of their primary romantic relationship. The straight people I know who are coupled don't typically have many opposite-sex friends, relying instead on their same-sex friends. 

I think the wall you're hitting is based on puritanical views about sex and also... if the opposite argument was logically true, if every fertile person needed to engage in procreation through sex to restore the population, I cannot say I would be interested in that. 

• reme_1
    1 year ago

What would happen to our population if we all became gay.......

1 year ago

.....'gay or straight'? Don't you mean 'straight, or bent'?

• 1 year ago

I totally agree with you; being gay should be the norm. 

1 year ago

It makes sense in theory, the Romans practiced male same sex relationships but still married women to have children but kept their male lovers

• 1 year ago

An argument can also be made against too much same-ness. And for compatible parts.