Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Why do car manufacturers make some cars so fast if the speed limit in most states is 65?

There's always some loser out there who wants something that can theoretically go 150-200 MPH. The biggest problem is that these cars are NOT SAFE and cannot withstand any high speed crash like a NASCAR, Indy car, or Formula One car. They are basically suicide machines for imbeciles. With the exception of race tracks, none of the roads on planet earth can safely handle a car at very high speeds. They have races every year for off the lot sports cars in various places and you should see how pathetically mass produced "high performance" cars perform. Most begin to fall apart at speeds of around 100 MPH. Can't handle turns or curves on race tracks and so on. 

The average US consumer would refuse to buy a car that only did 65! It is difficult to limit top speed to less then 85 miles per hour. I have owned a few vehicles that had a 85 mph speedometer. But I also tend to drive faster then that. I have trouble telling 105 from 85 mph by the seat of my pants. I happen to like to know just how much over the speed limit I am going. I enjoy track day driving and so I happen to have a use for car/s that can exceed legal street limits. There are several places in the US where I can do speeds over 100 mph with out risking the public.

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

If you want to drive fast, stay off my highways.  The speed limits are there for everyone's safety.

we want cars that are FUN and SPORTY.

Demand and supply. (Whatever sells well, will be provided)

The same reason prostitutes exist, even though prostitution is illegal. There is a demand for their services.

• AskZilla
      1 month agoReport

Prositutiton is legal in parts of state of Nevada. Pornography is legal and pornography and prostitution is legal in many other countries

Because sometimes, a car needs to go up some steep hills. That takes power.

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

Not the same thing.  Speeding is illegal. Powering up a hill is not.

.......passing power. Zero-to-60 in 3 seconds doesn't always mean you have to push it to 170 mph. They could just have a 2 speed transmission if you only want the car practical, but we want cars that are FUN and SPORTY.

No one follows the speed limit on highways anyways. 

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

I know many people who do, making your assertion patently false.

• Duck

(1) The entire world doesn't necessarily adhere to a 65 mph speed limit. Germany's autobahn, for example.

(2) The cars can be taken to race tracks on 'track days' and be driven to their limit.

(3) Why not?

On a side note, most cars sold in the U.S. are artificially limited to a 120 mph top speed (with a few exceptions).

They make what is legal and what sells.   If it was illegal to make a car that went over 65, then there would be a built in limitation.   And people not only want fast cars, but are willing to pay extra for them.  

Germany has roads with no speed limits. Yes, there are countries outwith the USA.

• F
      1 month agoReport

Not much of Germany has unlimited roads. Most are strictly controlled with big fines.