Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Isn’t it against the constitution when a store refuses to let us put fliers for our church as an ad in that store?

The store said we aren’t allowed to post fliers or ads in the store. But others can. This is persecution!

@Duck, no I am not. But that is different.

• If an individual owns the lease of a particular building or, owns the entire lot, he has rights over and above those he serves.  Regardless what organization/affiliation one may be peddling, he has no jurisdiction whatsoever.

No it is not.  The owner has the right to be a democrat or Republican.  :D

Nope.   The store is private property and they have the right to decide what can or cant be posted on their property.

The constitution only protects you from censorship by the government...  So, the constitution only makes it legal for you to print out your flyers

A place that I worked for refused to let anything of that nature be posted.  If anyone put things of religious or political nature on their bulletin board, it would be promptly discarded.

• Yes But the question was that other faiths could put up Theirs. A store should allow All or None. 

Your on private property.  Think it through. What if someone wanted to set up a booth on your front lawn to hand out fliers as people walked or drove by?  No difference. It is private property. People think they are entitled to shop somewhere, go to a  hair salon, or a particular dentist. They can all refuse you service as long as it's not based on discrimination. So you can't say I don't want to serve Latinos, but If a customer is being a jerk and happens to be Latino they can be told to leave.  Because it wouldn't be based on race. How do I know it isn't a race issue? I don't. If someone complained an investigation would be conducted. They would try to determine if there was a pattern. No pattern, no discrimination

It's THEIR store. Thus, THEY can decide what flyers or ads they will accept to put upm in THEIR store.

The Constitution grants them that right of their property, just as it also says that you don't have to put up any ads or flyers you don't want in your home or business.

FREEDOM OF RELIGION... THEY DO NOT WANT YOU PROPAGANDA IN THEIR STORE... GREAT FOR THEM I WILL SHOP THERE.. WHICH ONE IS IT.

A store is private property owned by a business.  The Constitution cannot dictate what people allow to happen on their personal property as far as a flier is concerned, regardless of it's content. 

A private business has the right to refuse your flyer based on any reason they choose.

Let's say you are "Pro-life" and despise abortion.  Your neighbor wants to staple "Right to Choose" abortion flyers on the trees on your property by your driveway.  Would you allow him to do so?  Of course not.

The same thing with the business owner, he does not want your church flyers on his property.  

And no, no laws are broken and the Constitution does not protect personal choice on one's property where flyers are concerned. 

The Constitution of the United States of America defines the power of, and places restrictions on GOVERNMENT. It doesn't demand ANY private individual or business do ANYTHING.

It also doesn't prohibit BLATANT DISCRIMINATION by either private individual or businesses.

NO, refusing to accept your ads IS NOT persecution, even if it is discrimination.

Note: "That's different" isn't even a PATHETIC argument on ANY issue.

• Duck

I want to put up a pro-LGBTQ poster on your billboard at church. Are you okay with that?

@Update: How so? I could make the same argument against you that you are trying to make with the store.

• It IS different. he said, others Can. that infers Other churches can and do, this is whole point. it IS discrimination to allow some churched but not ALL> 

The store would be considered private property. They have the right to refuse to let your church advertise. There are too many churches that are being run as profit-making enterprises. I wouldn't allow it either, and I would be perfectly within my rights to do so.