promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

i fell for the ssi scam how do i protect myself by phone call?

but i didnt hear my phone ring i did listen to the voicemail and called them back and gave my ssi number and yes i know im an idiot is there away to stop them from doing what ever there gonna do i know better now so they cant fool me again 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    1 month ago

contact your nearest SSI and tell them. also, check your credit scores at freecreditreport.com and put a Credit Fraud Alert on your file, so they cannot use it, and check that they have not already.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

You can request social security to put a lock and security watch on your number.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trulia/2016/03/09/sho...

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Notify the social security office nearest you.

• P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You better get identity theft protection like Lifelock or Identity Guard.  I'm sure they are working right now to exploit the information you gave them.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • marty
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If I were you I'd sign up for lifelock. They can stop someone from using it and their counselors can help you alot.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Make sure to freeze your credit with all 3 credit bureaus. They are likely to use your SSN to open a bunch of credit cards and possibly fake IDs. They might also try using it to file false tax returns. Monitor your credit reports frequently to catch any suspicious activity. You can also request an identity theft PIN from the IRS to use on your tax returns. If you find that your number is being used, notify the Social Security Administration. They don't like issuing a new number, but sometimes it has to be done.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.