lenny asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

I 5"4, 18, Female, and 142 pounds. I would like to lose 20 pounds by the first day of May. Is this possible?

I have been working out everyday, and eating pretty healthy for the past 3 days. I have cut out a lot of sugar ( but definitely not all, because I have been consuming healthy sugars ), and I haven't been eating much bread. If I keep this up for the next two months, is it possible to lose twenty pounds? I workout each day for at least 40 minutes, but sometimes over an hour. Usually I will give myself an off day, but I work a lot and am on my feet a lot. 

Maybe.  Let's clear up a couple of things.

1. Sugar is sugar is sugar.  There is no such thing as "healthy sugars."  It doesn't matter if it is lactose, dextrose, maltose, fructose, sucrose, or any other sugar, it all get brokering down into glucose and then then glycogen in your body.

2. Weight loss is about calories.  It doesn't matter if you only eat vegetables.  If you eat more calories that your body uses, you won't lose weight or fat.

3. About carbs...when you eat a carbohydrate, whether it is French fries, granola, pasta, fruit, juice, or ice cream, your body produces insulin to take the fuel (glycogen) to your cells.  Insulin also tells your body to stop burning fat because a delivery or easy to use sugar is coming.  If you get most of your calories from carbs, your make it harder for your body to get into a state where it will burn fat.  That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't eat carbs.  It means you need to be aware of how fat loss happens.

4. Weight loss is 80% diet.  That is why tracking your food and knowing how many calories your should eat is so important.  Download the app Lose It! (free). Weight and measure your food.  Track everything.  

5. A reasonable weight loss goal is 1-2 pounds a week.  If you lose, on average, 1.5 pounds a week,  you'll be down 12 pounds in tow months.  That's at least a clothing size.  To lose 20 pounds in 8 weeks, you need to create a daily calorie deficit of over 1000 calories.  Since you probably are only need 1500 calories a day, that simply isn't rational or realistic.

6.  Don't set yourself up for failure to quit because your original goal was overly optimistic.  If you work out 5 days a week and eat a diet of vegetables, quality protein, good fats, and some carbs at around 1300 calories per day, you should see significant changes to your body composition as well as maybe 10 pounds of fat loss over the next two months.  Keep that up and you'll reach a healthy weight range with more stamina and better muscle tone.

8. Weight alone is not a good indication of body composition, clothing size, fitness, muscle tone, health, beauty, intelligence, or popularity.  Don't focus on weight loss.  Focus on improving your health and happiness by adopting lifestyle changes. 

• .

Yes, it's possible for some people to lose 20 lbs in 2 months. A little less is more reasonable. Consider that you can lose 1 - 2 lbs/wk in a healthy manner, so if you did lose 2 lbs per week you'd hit 18 lbs the week that May begins. Another week and you could drop the other 2 lbs IF you work hard and are consistent. 

.

Focus your eating on whole foods (avoid processed foods as much as possible). Lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies, complex carbs, healthy fats, and drink plenty of water. You can determine what your daily calorie intake should be here https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator  Definitely give yourself at least 1 (if not 2) days of no structured exercise, so your body can rest and repair. You don't want to overdo it and get injured or just burn out and get sick of exercising (because to keep the weight off you'll need to continue your healthy eating and exercise ongoing).

Not possible to tell. You say "eating pretty healthy" but do you know if you are in a calorie deficit? What is "healthy sugar"? I have never heard of such a thing. Once you ingest any kind of sugar - dairy sugar, fruit sugar, honey, etc - it does exactly the same thing in your body as white sugar.  You say you're only going to "keep this up for the next two months". If you reach your goal in two months, what happens after that? 

Yes, of course it is. You can lose over 100lbs if you wanted.

Yes. That works out to about 2.5 pounds per week. It will take effort.