Erica R asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

I need an example grocery list for one month for about $350 for two people?

Me and my BF are planning to hunker down for about a month and see if this coronavirus blows over and in the meantime I want to stock up on foods that will last a while. I'm not a big meat-eater so I want to base my diet around things like chicken, as it's one of the few meats I can tolerate.I also need foods that do not need to be frozen as my freezer is pretty small and I plan to stock it with chicken and frozen vegetables. I know there are things like beans and rice but I don't want to rely solely on those. About $350 is what have budgeted for food.

Canned fish should be on the list if you like it, salmon is perhaps about the mildest after tuna, but for overall nutrition the canned salmon will trump the tuna. However either canned sardines or even canned jack mackerel would be a better choice, if you want not only something that keeps long, and has a high nutrient content, which is higher than the salmon. Those all can be kept for weeks months and even for a few years stored properly. You can even check the discount stores, as those are usually cheaper for the canned fish/seafood.

As an example the other day, I opened a can of rutabagas, that was more than five years old, and they were still good. Now speaking of rutabagas (also called swedes) even not canned, and like potatoes or sweet potatoes will last a fairly long time. However they are very hard to peel.Now as for the chicken, if you can tolerate it, albeit it's a strong meat, the chicken liver will at one ounce or twenty eight grams, deliver almost as much nutrition as three and half ounces or one hundred grams of what chicken breast will give you. Also canned or bottled tomato juice is a good item, which can be used to make soup with, or simply poured into a glass and drank. As it's been heated it'll also be not only a good source of vitamin C, but also lycopene.

• edward

You can get 6 chicken breasts for like $10 at WalMart right? And canned food is normally nonperishable

Olives, dill pickles, artichoke bottoms packed in water (it comes in cans), artichoke hearts, dried fruits, walnuts, macadamias, pecans, butter, olive oil and/ or avocado oil. ready to eat canned fruits, meats, vegetables and soups, broths, crackers, mayonnaise and other condiments you like, peanut butter or other nut butters, jellies. Pasta sauces and pasta if you eat that.

You can freeze hard cheeses like parmesan. You can Google what cheeses a person can freeze for more info.

Canned coconut milk or almond milk.

They say bottled and canned fruit juice but i think those are overloaded with sugars, and i don't use them, but it's your choice. There's always vegetable or tomato juice. Sparkling waters.

Almond flour (or whatever flour you use). Sugar (i use monk fruit sweetener).

Water by the gallon and if you want flavorings for that, they make drops (as you probably know).

Stock up on toilet paper and paper towels if you use those. Over the counter allergy meds if you need them. Pain meds like tylenol or whatever you prefer and general personal items, too.

• .

Then buy a lot of canned foods. Beans, peas, corn, soups. There are also a fair variety of shelf stable 'entrees' that don't fall into the "healthy" category, but don't need refrigeration and easily heated in the microwave. Potatoes are cheap and can be prepared various ways. Ramen noodles are also cheap and easy to prepare.