Has your job ever made you cry?

I can’t count how many times I came home crying 

• SW-6

I came close one time, but managed to reign it in and keep going.  Made me realize how people can be S's at times, made me stronger and I was grateful for that. 

being an embalmer, I've cried a couple of times, working on an innocent baby, or young child--

Back when I was a manager at a homeless shelter, one of my clients died when a co-worker defied my order and discharged her. She was epileptic, and bipolar with a propensity for mood swings, and her meds had recently been stolen. I left directions that if she experience any mood swings to simply let her play it out, with the understanding that without her meds, it was beyond her control. I go home that night, and she of course had an episode. The worker on shift that night ignored my order and kicked her out. She ended up having to stay at her ex-boyfriend's house -- who was a drug user, and who she had come to our shelter to escape from -- and he got her high, and she had a drug-induced seizure in the bathtub and drowned.

When I got the call the next afternoon, I broke down crying. I'd had clients die before -- it's the nature of the beast when a lot of your job involves dealing with addicts -- but this was a completely avoidable death. She was two days away from having her meds replaced, and I'd been working with her to get her into rehab and on the road to regaining custody of her child. She was trying to turn her life around, she wanted something better for her and her child, and some lazy ******* shift worker kicked her out because he didn't care enough to bother with her. It's been sixteen years, and I still blame him for her death.

Her name was Africa Engleking. I think about her often, as someone who wanted a better life but was denied it because of someone who saw her as not worth the effort. 

Sadly, that ideology is common among far too many people today.

• Dexter1 month agoReport

SIR you are an exemplary human being SIR

No, never. Maybe on my first ever job as a department store sales assistant when I was aged 15, I was kinda emotional and let it show but that was because of private issues not related to work. But for every other job, it has never depressed me that I come home crying.

Yes. Quite a few times over the last 20 years. Deaths. Overwhelming amount of work.

Maybe once or twice in a 12 year career.

Yes ! and I now refuse to peel onions for a living

I cry everyday before I clock in

I cry everyday before I clock in

• damn bro,  hang in there how bad could it be lol ?

there are people who daily experiencing  horrors such as rape, famine, war all over the planet kids who see this yet still find a way to smile through all that b/s.

you surely must understand w/e you going through its nothing in comparison.

No but it has made me puke. Especially on days I know I have to be speaking in front of everyone. Now when I know I take appropriate measures( a few shots of tequila and some mouthwash) settles my nerves just enough. No--I do not drink...hate it but you do what you have to do. If Xanax was over the counter than I'd prefer that, but most of all I'd prefer a new job and a new boss.