Irish Lad asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

My mother thinks her mailing address will affect credit score?

My mother took a great job over 1300 miles away over 5 years ago. She and my father travel to see each other as much as possible and he'll retire to her in a few years. 

Anyway, she makes more money so she has his electric bill etc and all her mail sent to her. One of us has to go every week, collect the mail with her name on it from her and dads house, and ship it in Priority Mail envelope to her. That costs me and him a combined $400 yearly. I told her we should switch over her mailing address and she said "Affects my taxes". I just disproved that by asking my tax guy, and then she said "Living in a house vs apt affects credit score". Even if that is so, she lives in the back apt of a house. Her address is simply the house address then "(Rear)". No Apt, Unit, # etc. How would anybody know, and how exactly would a new mailing address for her bills and store coupons affect a credit score? None of these places care where they send the mail and a FICO score shouldn't be affected by a mailing address right?

Address does not affect credit score. You are right. She is wrong.

Why dont you just scan (or take a decent picture with your phone) of all mail?  Or, since she is worried about her "numbers floating around," just send her a list of the amounts due for utilities, cable, etc...then she can cut paper checks.  Does she not want you actually opening the mail?  

Better question....if your dad lives there, why do you need to go and get the mail?   What am I missing here?  Wouldnt that mail be going to the house where he lives?  I see that you say you live there, again, you dont need to go anywhere to collect the mail.  I suspect there is more to this story. 

"One of us has to go every week, collect the mail with her name on it from her and dads house, and ship it in Priority Mail envelope to her."  If you and dad live there...wouldnt you just open the mailbox...?

Your mom is incorrect...people live in apartments in major cities that are worth millions...apartment living has no impact on credit score...paying your bills does. 

• Irish Lad
      1 month agoReport

I was trying to simplify the explanation. That accounts for discrepancy in me saying "I'll go get it". Just ends up being me making a trip on my rare days off

Correct.  Your mailing address does not affect your credit score or taxes.

She is incorrect. Time at address can affect credit decisions as it can show stability or the lack thereof but it does not hurt your score and its not even close to being worth it to spend that much money to mail her mail to her.

It would not be worth spending even $20.

In any event, you should not be spending a dime, she should be paying for the postage if its that important to her.

What is her score?  Regardless it would not affect her score. If her score was marginal, time at address could affect a loan decision. For example, 10 years at the same address would look better to a subprime car lender because they know she will probably still be there if & when they have to repo it. But some subprime lenders insist on GPS so they can find the car anyway. 

You mom is irrational. 

• Irish Lad
      1 month agoReport

Idk her score, but she has lived at her current address for years

"a FICO score shouldn't be affected by a mailing address right?"   Correct.

Why on earth does dad need your help to send his wife the mail?    Surely he is capable.

And if he visits often enough, he can just take it with him.

Or she can just send him money and he can pay his own bills.

Or she can pay the bills online.

There is no "we" in this.   Your parents are able-bodied working people.  Extricate yourself from this situation.   You are not their unpaid employee.

$400/year?   There is no need for that.  That's 50 Flat Rate Priority envelopes a year.   No one needs the mail that often.

ETA:   I never said auto-payments.   I don't do that either.   But it's just not hard to pay the bills online instead of writing paper checks. 

• Irish Lad
      1 month agoReport

Believe me, I'm with you on not doing paper checks etc for payments but there's not a lot of 66 year olds out there who trust that method. Its generational. She knows enough internet to catch up with friends on FB and get her work email. Beyond that she wouldn't trust her numbers "floating around"