Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

Can someone steal your identity to obtain a green card?

So i was trying to get a copy of my Florida license online and i couldn't get past the identity questions because it was asking me form my i94 number and alien registration number.. im a U.S citizen with a social security number and never been out of the country.. is it possible someone could've stolen my identity to get those? Or is it questions they ask everyone? 

I'm not sure. In order to help me furnish you with an answer to that question send me your name, social security and bank details, and l will get on the case.

More commonly illegal aliens steal identities to claim citizenship or for financial frauds. Especially common is child-identity theft to claim welfare, etc. (which is paid to the illegal-alien parents, not to the child!), and attempt to get green cards themselves, or at least forestall deportations. They cannot obtain a green card by stealing a citizen's identity, but can rob them blind, claim welfare & other benefits, etc.

• Foofa

They probably couldn't get a green card but the fraudulent use of SS numbers to skate by employers who either don't care or are cooperating in the crime is pretty massive. So yeah, you could be, like so many of us, a victim of identity theft. Better get it sorted because it can result in tax problems and the inability to qualify for public benefits and/or educational assistance for your children (if you have any).

• Edwena

Yes. And there is a lot of identity fraud with the immigration system. We know about 1 girl who was married under the K1 visa, and started the citizenship process. She and her husband continued on with the process, being very careful that everything was legal and proper, only to have Immigration mail it all back to them rejected. You can imagine the panic that caused. They called Immigration and were told to take everything to Immigration in San Antonio and get it straightened out. So they did. The only comment made to them was that someone in New York City had used their immigration number and filed the paperwork there. It didn't work only because they had proceeded quickly in resolving the mess. But, if they would have delayed, as many people are inclined to do, the person in NYC would have gotten her immigration papers and her identity.

• don

A drivers license,maybe but not a green card.Your green card has biometric info no one can fake.Homeland security has your fingerprints and retina scan as well as height weight etc.

Yes, it is possible.  Go to the nearest office that issues driving licenses and talk to a supervisor.