How likely is it for you to marry the first person you date?

I want to get married, but I keep worrying that the first person I date won't become my spouse. And then all that time I spent with them will be time down the drain. Do you usually marry the first person you date?

• Foofa

This is why people tend to start early. Your high school bf/gf surely won't and shouldn't be the one you end up married to but it's not time "down the drain" because these childhood relationships teach us valuable lessons we'll use later in life. Most people don't marry their college sweetheart either because for most that's a period in life when we're not quite the person we'll grow into later. Marrying the first person you date is a great way to be overly curious about others the moment your marriage gets tough (and they all do get tough at some points). If you've already dated around and you have a good idea of what else is out there you're less likely to want to flee a struggling marriage and you're more likely to be willing to stay and try to work on that marriage.

Some people do, many don't. Ultimately, you shouldn't view a relationship that doesn't end in marriage as time wasted. Yes, that relationship didn't ultimately end in a wedding, but you will have gained a lot from it, including growing as a person, and learning things that will benefit you in your next relationship (even if it's just to never date someone like that again!). If you see time in a relationship that ends as time down the drain, you'll never date anyone for fear of it being a waste of time, or you'll fall into the fallacy of thinking you've invested too much time into them to end things even if it's not the right relationship for you.

• y

I'm actually worried that the first person my daughter dates, she will marry. I'm sure it happens, those first last forever and such. But from what I have seen, they are the exception, not the rule. More often then not they end up a bad situation, often for the female, control and abuse becouse the norm becouse there is just not enough experience. To know what is right and what s wrong.

• RP

It is probably extremely rare that the first person one dates turns out to be her/his partner for life. Even those who are determined to marry do not consciously realize the one s/he is dating could become her/his spouse. Generally, dating is a way to have a good time while enjoying another's company. The experience may also help a person tell what s/he likes, doesn't, etc. There's no magic number of persons to date before one has settled on 'the one', but there is probably wide variation in how many dates it takes to find a mate.

I think it would be highly unlikely to marry the 1st person you date but if you don't date at all then it is highly likely you will be by yourself when you die. You got to get the experience to be able to find someone you want to spend your life with.