Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

How much should a film on dvd actually cost?

I've bought some for £4 and some for £18 which seems overpriced.

I bought a mary Kate and ashley straight to video dvd from the 90s, it cost £18.

• Adam

In the US, new release Blu-Ray/4K movies tend to cost about $20-$30 (equivalent to around £15.66 - £23.49), while older films that have been out a while can cost as low as $5-$10.  (£3.92 - £7.83.)  DVD's tend to run a few dollars cheaper than Blu-Rays at most stores I go to.

Honestly, that's not unreasonable in my opinion.  Movies are expensive to make, market and release.  I think the cost is very fair.  

Plus, if you want to get technical, prices for movies have actually gone down over time.  Starting in the mid-to-late 80's, a movie on VHS would cost around $25 (the same as you'd pay now)...  except if you account for inflation, that'd be the equivalent of paying $60 in today's money.  And you're generally getting a LOT more value for your $20-$30 new release today, since most Blu-Ray's also come with DVD copies, Digital copies, bonus features, etc.

Supply and demand .. Where you buy them also dictates price, and if new or used etc.

I've bought a LOT of dvd's and blurays over the years at pawn shops where as long as the same genre (single dvd, as opposed to series) they don't differenciate. But if dealing with a private seller it's rarely like that.

It's a good thing you're under Anonymous 

So No one see's who are Buying a Mary Kate & Ashley Olesn DVD

Wal*Mart an/or The Dollar Store you could find Movies or Videos for $10.00 or less

Source(s): WWE. Sucks
  • Cogito

There is no "should".

Things cost whatever the vendor states he will sell them for.

New releases cost a bit more

Depends on how new (high demand) they are.

Depends when they were released and who stars in them