Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 months ago

Could an employer trick you into signing an employment contract without your knowledge? ?

I was working this marketing job and signed a 1099 form for the job. But the people were acting like they were secretive about something. It may seem dumb, (but it's bothering me for some reason) 

I wonder if they could have tricked anyone into signing an employment contract if they had an marketing skill they would try to prevent them from leaving. I was bad at the job so they kind of laid me off or at least I hope its the case. I haven't heard back from them and I didn't try to contact them. I didn't make any money at all. 

But I was wondering would you they have pulled that off? bringing in a bunch of random people from craigslist and try to trick them to sign an employment contract? it wouldn't stand legally right?

they haven't contacted me in like 2 months. BTW I'm a girl

I think that constitutes as a lay off

thanks Dreaded Rear admiral, you're probably right. I didn't sign any documents saying I owed them anything for training. I was just worried they try to contact me out of the blue and claim I signed someone sort of document. :/ They were sketchy 

@ana I just don't like working for free. how bout you go that work that job 

sweetheart

Favorite Answer

This doesn't make much sense.   Why would they have you sign something to prevent you from leaving, but then "kind of lay you off"?

Are you really laid off or did they say they'd call you if/when they want you?

The only type of documents that might prevent people from leaving are either a non-compete or something you sign as part of a training agreement.   In the latter, some places will make you compensate them for your training if you leave before a specified time. 

If you signed some sort of non-compete, your termination may or may not be grounds for the non-compete being tough for the employee to defend - it depends a lot on the state you're in.

• Ana

Look, stop trying to blame other people for the fact that you suck at your job

Right now you have the mentality of a loser, and if you don’t change, then you’re always going to be a loser

If you were dumb enough not to read what you were signing, sure.

Tell me, what would be the benefit to them? It makes no sense whatsoever.

expect a visit from IRS and some jail time, you will become a prison cell husband

anything is possible, you could try talking to a lawyer about it