Can I ask my potential recruiter if I still stand a chance of being recruited?

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I applied for an internal position in another department within my company.

The interview went well and the interviewer, who would also be my lead if they employ me, told me that I had a 99% of being recruited.

However, since I still hadn’t heard from them, I asked a friend in that department if they’d already identify their person for that position and that’s when he told me that there’s a recruitment freeze across all departments.

Is it ok to send my interviewer a private message to ask him where they are with the process and whether I still stand a chance of them taking me?

• Bort

Yes. Find out for yourself. What you hear from other people might just be rumors. That person might be blowing smoke and not actually know anything at all on the subject. So ask the person that would know; the recuirter them self.

i dont see why not

Sure.  He may not be able to tell you anything but I can't see asking being an issue.