Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Does it sound like there was an affair going on?

My sister and my brother in law split up after 6 years. I get it, people split up, but this new girl Shay got hired where my brother in law works. One of my friends works with him, she said he and Shay would stop talking whenever someone else comes around, and she saw them hugging outside.  Then, within 3 weeks of splitting up with my sister, saying he wanted a divorce,   he and Shay started openly  dating. Isn’t 3 weeks quick to move on if nothing was happening before? My sister believes that she’s just the rebound, and that he’ll want her back.  To me it sounds like something must have been going on before. 

• Foofa

"Shay" probably IS a rebound. But that doesn't mean he'll ever want to come back to your sister. It does sound like something was going on before the divorce but that's usually more a symptom of being unhappy in a marriage than the ultimate goal of a divorce. The fact that this is complicated by their working together very likely means this will be a short term thing. The real sibling support you need to give is when he breaks up with Shay and DOESN'T want to reconcile his marriage. Just because he's using Shay as the offramp doesn't mean he didn't really want to get off of the freeway.

Ah, you don't know how things were going on with your sister and bil, they may have been having problems for awhile and you never knew it and this gal started laying her kitty all over him and bang, he was gone. It can happen in the blink of an eye. 

• kristy

There’s no laws for time limits on dating someone else after a breakup

Sounds suspicious.