Son's reaction to his mum?

My 2 year old son doesn't enjoy much time with my wife. I have noticed that he is still calling out for her and still enjoys playing with her but is attached to me and to his grandpa a lot more.

Sometimes when my wife kisses my son, he will get upset and started saying mum mum and then break out crying.

When it's bed time, she turns off the light and brings him to the bed. He will start crying his head off and needs to be rescued to either myself or FIL.

He enjoys playing and mucking around with my wife but I have noticed she tends to spend most of her time with her head buried in her phone responding to clients for her job.

What could be causing him to become so distressed at her kissing him? Can kids pick up when their parent is "bad" or has an evil aura? I say that because my wife gets angry a lot at me and has been showing distaste for me for a while.

Wondering what others think??

• Foofa

Kids depend on the parent who does all the not fun stuff like feeding and bedtime but when their belly is full and they're not tired they generally prefer the company of the "fun" parent. So this doesn't necessarily mean your wife is "bad". It just means she's the one he goes to when he has basic needs and you're the one he goes to when he wants to play. This has been the plight of the primary caretaker since the dawn of the species.

Not likely to be " kids pick up when their parent is "bad" or has an evil aura?" I say that because my wife gets angry a lot at me and has been showing distaste for me for a while.". More likely to be a stage that toddlers (and older kids too) can go through.

I do have to wonder however if your OWN attitude towards her isn't colouring your Son's attitude too. After all he hardly needs "rescuing" from his mother putting him to bed. And you consider her "evil" because she isn't giving YOU everything you want? SERIOUSLY!??!!

"...her head buried in her phone responding to clients for her job....". It sounds like she is working her butt off to help support you all and all you can say is she's not there enough for you?

Do have to wonder what it is you are doing for the family too. What is your contribution besides undermining her towards her son. and it IS her son too.

I'd say the same if it was a woman complaining about her husband.