I feel like my managers are taking advantage of me, any advice?

I have worked at Walmart for almost 7 years. I was assigned to do to build bicycles and do nothing else. Later, I was also given the toy department to multi-task. I was reluctant but I more than proved that I was up to the challenge. Neither department has department managers either most of the time. It is mostly just me during the day time, besides a few stockers that help out for a few hours. Today, my managers took my scanner from me and promised me to get me a 'new' one. With my scanner, I never asked them for tasks as I could always find something to do, and I could read the notes from there. Now that they have taken my scanner from me, I am forced to talk to the upper managers. They are trying to get me to do other department jobs that are not my own.

I am not nor have ever been a manager. I get paid the same as a newly hired person. I was never told that this was expected of me. It is something that they tell me it's something temporary, but then it never stops. It keeps going. I have noticed that a lot of other associates are not forced to multi-tasks, even the department managers. When I do other tasks, I fall behind on my job, I do not get the help that does the job as efficiently as I do. I go on one vacation a year and I have to pick up a lot of slack by myself. Any advice?

This is not the first time I have stood my ground. I won the last time. I told them to give me a raise in order to accept more responsibilities. They refused. They threatened to fire me. I told them to do it. They backed off and left me alone for months. 

It's my fault for working too much. I have caught their attention, but I don't know how to slow down. I feel like

everytime

I get a lot of work done, people want to use me to pick up the slack everywhere else. 

Favorite Answer

Start looking for another job, you can definitely show you can self manage yourself and handle managing what needs to be done.

If you've been there for 7 years and haven't gotten a merit raise in all of that time I'd strongly suggest you look elsewhere, find a new job and give your notice 

Do you really have enough bikes to assemble to keep you busy? You should either be happy to have a job or find something else where you can decide what tasks you'll perform every day.

sounds like it is time to look for  a new job, but don't quit until you have a new one.

You have worked for Walmart for 7 years and still work in an entry level job.

Since you have much more experience than someone hired yesterday, don't you think Walmart deserves to get more "return on investment" from you?  After 7 years, you should not expect to being doing the same job you were "hired to do". 

If you are still earning the same income as someone who started yesterday, look in the mirror and figure out why you haven't received the standard increase every 6-months like most Walmart Associates.

If you are content being an associate, don't belly-ache that your special privileges have been cut off.  If you want to be a manager, how about apply.  It's not like you didn't have the opportunity in the last 7 years.

• A Hunch
      1 month agoReport

Face it- your job has changed.  You don't want to be a manager.  In the past, they asked you to do manager type tasks... now they aren't letting you anymore. 

start doing whatever u are asked doing  SLOWLY and if they ask to do smth else tell them u re not done with the previous one

Some employers are just unreasonable.

It sounds as if they are taking advantage of you and that you should have received a moderate wage rise or promotion.

What is the reason the scanner was taken from you? Were you completing tasks either incorrectly or doing someone else's job and they became annoyed?

You need to sit down with your manager and discuss the circumstance rationally.

As the situation stands they haven't provided either to you so far and it seems likely they will continue to take what they can. If the discussion with your manager isn't fruitful then perhaps consider new employment, so you can start over with a clean slate.

Maybe a part time course which leads to better employment would be ideal for you?

You can't mention any of this to your current manager of course. Just plod along, get the work done and plan long term to improve your work prospects.

• Nunya
      1 month agoReport

They don't even want to give me the options to get into the scanner lockers. They say that it is for managers only, yet I am given a lot of tasks that require it. 

If you are doing more work, then go to them and say that you really appreciate that they trust you to take on extra responsibility, but since you are now doing more than your original position, you would like for your salary to reflect your new level of responsibilities. They will either agree and pay you more, or walk back your duties. Either way you win.

your job is whatever your boss says,not what you want.

• Never
      1 month agoReport

Sounds like you should be able to leverage your work into higher pay?  They rely on you. That's a good thing.

Job duties are determined by the employer, not the employee.

• Nunya
      1 month agoReport

Job duties pertaining to what I was hired to do. If I am going to be given more responsibilities, with no help to do my other departments, then please explain how that is fair. You sound like a robot, no offense.