promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 month ago

I had a 113 fasting glucose and a 5.2 A1C. Is the A1C more accurate?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Neither test is actually "more accurate", my friend.  They need to be taken into context.

The HbA1c (A1C) test gives you an 'average' of what your blood sugar (glucose) levels have been like over the previous 3 months, with a slight emphasis of the latter 6 to 8 weeks of that time.  It can't pick up if you have Impaired Fasting Glucose (IFG) levels, which is why Fasting Blood Glucose testing is done.

Someone with Impaired Fasting Glucose levels may see their blood sugar (glucose) levels return to a 'normal' range once their pancreas 'kicks in' and starts to produce insulin over the rest of the day.

Impaired Fasting Glucose levels DOES put one at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes at some point of their life.

Having said that, your HbA1c level of 5.2% indicates that you are not at immediate risk of developing diabetes.  (5.2% is well within the 'normal' range of being non-diabetic.)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Shay
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The A1C is usually more accurate.  The A1C is based on being able to determine how sugar levels have been for the last three months.  The fasting glucose is a one time reading that is just looking at that one point.  Almost anything can cause a slightly high fasting reading.  

With an A1C of 5.2, I wouldn't worry about the 113.

• IOM
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

5.2 is perfect. 113 is only slightly high (but does not indicate diabetes); you should check it every day for a week at least to make sure.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.