promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Would you feel this person is rude because I refused the coffee?

At work a fairly new person offered to get me a coffee when she went to get one. I replied that no thanks I don't drink coffee. She then said, oh so do you not want me to drink coffee next to you because of the coffee smell. ? To which I said, no thats fine. But did she say that to me because I refused to drink coffee? and being rude?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Not usually.  What you are confusing with rudeness is something called an effort to be sensitive.to your needs (the exact opposite).  Perhaps you are unused to such good behavior from people to not be able to identify it.  So. congrats on getting a better class of person to work with.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

I think it would depend on the tone she used. tone says a lot.

• Faithe
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

She may have known some people like the couple I know for whom the smell of coffee actually gives them a headache.  She doesn't know why you don't drink coffee and wanted to make sure that wasn't the reason - very considerate of her.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

If it had been up to me, that would have been the Best Answer.

• 1 month ago

I do not think she was rude, but yes, she was a bit snarky.  Sometimes people hide behind sarcastic remarks for one reason or another.

I would just overlook this silliness and not give it another thought because it is really not even worth the mind space to think about it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i dont think you were being rude

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There's only one way this could be rude, and I highly doubt it happened.  If your answer bothered her and she said it in a snarky tone, that would be rude.  But then I'd think you would have mentioned that.  Otherwise, she's just trying to be considerate and probably on her best behavior as she gets to know her co-workers.

• 1 month ago

She was trying to be respectful. What if the reason you didn't drink coffee was because the smell made you physically ill? She is just being considerate.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

She was not at all rude. She thought that since you didn't drink coffee that perhaps the smell would bother you as well.

• Wilma
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

No, she didn't want to offend you with the coffee smell.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Meth and other illegal drugs will cause that delusion.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.