promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Which is more important in a musical? is the acting or singing?

Might seem like a silly, bordering on trollish question, but I've seen this discussion pop up several times recently online. So, which is more important for you? Would you rather watch someone with a beautiful voice, or who can't sing but is a wonderful actor?

Update:

Correction: is it the acting or the singing?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I'd venture to say that of the two, singing is far more important. At the same time, if a performer can't act well enough to be convincing then the show is going to be a dud. The fact of the matter is that there are a host of multi-talented performers out there not only can sing and act good enough for the Broadway stage but can also dance.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Verity
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It really depends on the material.  In a show like "Ragtime", the singing needs to

be paramount.   In something lighter, say "Spamalot", the dancing  (and the

non-dancing King Arthur) needs to be emphasized.

• Speed
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The singing is far more important than the acting in a musical, for me. But every member of every audience has their own opinion.

I've thoroughly enjoyed musicals where the musical performance was great and that acting so-so, with muffed lines, poor diction, etc.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I prefer the story to the songs. The songs in a musical sound so contrived.

Now, if it was a concert or an opera, where most of the dialogue is sung, the singing would be more important.

• Cogito
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I'm blocked, but to get into MT nowadays you'd have to be really excellent at acting, singing AND dancing.  They're considered equally important.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.