Does a tattoo have to have meaning or can it be meaningless I am thinking of getting a tattoo that has no meaning Is that a bad idea?

Favorite Answer

It doesn’t HAVE to have a deep meaning. It is better if it does. But if you want to get a tattoo just because you like it , then go for it. Some people get them just because they like them- that is enough meaning right there. :) 

Comedian Rhod Gilbert had a tattoo of a flaming Battenberg on a cushion to show how meaningless he thinks they are, what a stupid idea, when he'll be stuck with it for life.

A tattoo doesn't necessarily need to have a meaning at all. I have about 10+ with no real meaning behind it other than they look really good.

And if it MUST have a meaning why cant the fact you just like it be all the meaning there needs to be?

A tattoo means that you have no respect for your skin.

I mean, it *should* but to hell with them. I have 4 that have zero meaning, spur of the moment, and with that, they have meaning as to how dumb I was and how much fun I had just getting it done.