Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 1 month ago

Is it going to help me land in my dream finance job?

I am an undergrad senior finance student, and I am graduating in May 2020. I applied for many finance intern and entry-level jobs in finance in the past and never got hired. So, I decided to apply for accounting intern positions. And I finally got a few interviews and still have one on the way as an accounting intern as well. Yesterday, I was given an offer as an accounts payable associate. But I don't know if this job would help me a long the way to land in my dream finance job. I want to be a financial analyst or an auditor. 

Please help

Depends on what you mean by "financial analyst." The painful truth is that it is very hard to get into Investment Banking, for example, or even a top tier Accounting firm, if you don't go to a top university and are able to get a summer internship between junior and senior year.  

If you want to wok in the accounting and or finance department of a major (or not so major) corporation, getting a job in accounting is a good first step--even it it is as a A/P clerk.  As Ann points out, you can work you way up and apply for internal transfers and promotions.

One option you could look at would be getting a Masters degree in accounting. If you get into a top Macchiato's program, you'll probably get an internship with one of the top Accounting firms (Deloitte, PWC, KPMG, Ernst & Young, etc.).  You also may want to look at what you need to do to become a CPA (enough credits, passing the exams, etc.)

https://www.accounting.com/degrees/accounting/mast...

I got my foot in the accounting door as an accounting associate, within 5 years I moved to AP, then financial analyst, and supervisor of AP and payroll.   You have the degree, but you need the practical experience. Take the job, work your way up, learn all you can, challenge yourself, as you learn ask for more involved work,  volunteer.  if a job in finance opens up,  you will be prepared for it and have work history

Where did you go to school???  When talking about "dream finance job," this is extremely relevant.  If you didnt go to a top tier finance school, your odds of landing a high paying finance gig are pretty low.  

What else did you study in finance?  Looks like accounting based on your job offer...  Get a double major with Math or a hard science (not psychology, think physics, econ, chemistry, etc) and your chances improve.