promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Can my state refund be taken?

I filed my taxes through Turbo tax February 5th, they got accepted the same day both federal and state. Usually my state always comes first before my federal. I got my federal Monday February 24th 2 days ago. But I still do not have my state. I did call the department of Revenue in the state I live in which is Kansas, they looked it up and said they do have my state and they can’t give me an exact date of when it will come. The status of my state said it’s received and being processed but it’s been saying that since February 6th. But I’m worried it’s been taken, I do have a debt that needs paid so I’m wondering if they garnished my state and took it. I don’t owe school loans or child support so I’m wondering why it’d take this long. Is this going on for anyone else, or who could I call to maybe get more info about what’s going on?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If the debt is private or a credit card or something like that, it won't be taken. If it's to a state agency, it can and probably will be.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Actualy, NEITHER return was accepted the same day. The FILE from Turbo Tax was acknowledged as received by both the same day.

They are actually PROCESSED in order they are received, but that could take over a week after they are received. What is happening in your state is BEHIND in processing returns.

Note: There is absolutely ZERO connection in processing times between Federal and State tax returns.

• 1 month ago

To whom do you owe money?  Any state tax debt?  

Just wait...

• 1 month ago

Private debts cannot be taken from tax refund.

Just be patient.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you have a judgement against you it is possible they have filed against  your state tax refund, if this is the case you will be notified of the action and given an opportunity to dispute it,  

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Judgements CANNOT be filed against tax refunds.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Its not been long. They cant take it unless you owe. Patience is a virtue.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.