Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Hello, UK (London) rent increase question....?

I live in a shared property. Currently pay £420 rent for a single room (which I know is VERY cheap based on location and local amenities). All bills are included (Council Tax, Electricity, my Landlord has just given me notice of a rent increase from £420 to £550 based on rising costs etc. Is this reasonable considering I don't have to pay other bills. I live close to two stations, one on the Victoria line and the other on the Northern line.

you have probably gone from 'very reasonable' to 'average rent' for the area.  Look at other rented rooms locally and see what they are going for and if you think you can get a better deal then move elsewhere

You basically have two options:  Take it or leave it. But if you like the room / house / area, then it probably a good idea to stay

Reasonable is irrelevant...thats the increased cost they are offering...take it or leave it.  

You know the area better than almost anyone on here who would post...

"which I know is VERY cheap based on location and local amenities"

If you know its very cheap...what are the comparable prices...is this still in line?  

You said it's bills included so what are the other bills? It's not the landlord's fault you have some non essential debts. Though that is a hefty hike, like another answer says haggle a bit, surely there is some wiggle room on that but unfortunately things don't stay the same price forever and £420 is the price of a room in Manchester, not London as you seem to know.

you say you know it cheap, but then think raising rent to fair market value is unfair?

'Reasonable' doesn't really come into it - the landlord is legally allowed to raise the rent with one month's notice, in writing. Your option is to agree, or to give notice that you'll be moving.

The new rent still seems pretty cheap for London, especially with decent transport links. 

Rent is usually between 500 - 800 in London so yes it is reasonable. Maybe you can talk it down to £500.

• Maxi

You have no other bills to pay and in London even for an HMO room it is still very cheap