Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 months ago

Are you ever too old to need permission from your parents?

My father used to say I was but then I learned it was one of his many lies as he told me I was not to see my narcissistic aunt and thus I had to seek his permission at age 35 and my Mom's as it was her sister. This was 3 years ago and now he is seeing her again when her issues have not changed, he has. He was the one using me as a pawn to get her back and now that he has matured past the feud I am allowed to see her again. Thus he views me like a child. As a kid he ALWAYS used me like this. As a result I took the "narcissistic aunt's" side. 

You should respect those that have been in authority over you (parents/teachers), but there is a point where you ultimately have to make decisions on your own. Though you may not be under their authority anymore (you're over 18, you left school, etc.), it is still okay to ask them for wise counsel. This is different than asking for permission for everything.

However, if you are over 18 and are still living with your parents and not paying rent/eating all of their groceries, then they do still have the right to speak into your life a little bit more than you'd like them to. To change that, grow up, get a job and move out.

You should respect your elders unless they have done something to make you lose all respect for them.

Yes, once you move out and pay your own way in life...

if youre over 18 you dont need their permission

When I turned 18 and was living on my own and paying my own monthly expenses without assistance from anyone was the day I stopped asking for permission from anyone. 

However, if and adult child is stay with his/her parents they yes you better be respectable of them and ask for permission. 

If you don't want to ask mommy or daddy for their approval GET YOUR OWN PLACE and support yourself. 

Yeah, when you move out of the house they live in.

Well, I"m 79 and haven't asked permission from them for anything in many years.

• David3 months agoReport

They are probably dead.

I'm almost 27, I don't need the permission from my parents anymore.

• Bee V3

yes. it annoys me when my grown adult friends pretend like they still need their parents permission to do things. its one thing if youre living under their roof and we're talking house rules, but it irks me when my friends act like they cant do things like leave the house or dye their hair without their parents input