i'm worried about my eyes what should i do?

i'm a man aged 42 and years ago i was diagnosed with diabetes type 2, after having an unhealthy lifestyle for so long, but since the diagnosis i have threw everything into changing my life and managing the condition.....i started the gym, and went to swim when i could, watched my diet....and i lost nearly 3 stone and got my blood sugar right down...the nurse was pleased with me at my annual review check months ago..

but recently i went for my eye exam, which was held at the local library, they have a little eye exam place there, that was on feb the 18th just gone...they put drops into my eyes and scanned my eyes...and i had to read from an eye chart......so the nurse said i was free to go after all that and that they'll write to me with the results in a couple of weeks.....but just this morning, i got an NHS letter for an appointment at the eye hospital in this march?.......and i'm panicking as to what it could mean? what it could be about?

to start with, i'm frightened of anything clinical, doctors, nurses, clinics etc....so i was dreading these appointments with my eyes, now i'm really frightened about this letter this morning?

does anyone think i will be okay? believe i'll be alright? if there is something the matter with my eyes will they be able to help me?

i was hoping for reassurance as i'm quite scared.

• Tony B

The letter should say what the appointment is for and who referred you. If not then contact the establishment named and find out. 

No one here can help.

Does it seem like there is something wrong with your eyes? If not, don't sit around worrying. It could be about your vision or that you need some sort of treatment.

Making catastrophe predictions isn't healthy. Sitting around worrying about something that hasn't even happened doesn't make sense.

But i will say that, you've done a great job of turning your health around, and i think that's fantastic!

We don't know what country you are in, let alone haw the vision care system works there. Logic would suggest that for these screenings at the local library to have any value, the nurses doing the screening would be able to tell some patients that they don't need anymore care. They did not tell you that so evidently they saw enough to not be comfortable giving you a clean bill of health. That does not mean that you need treatment. It probably means that whatever was seen needs to be verified by a doctor. The most likely outcome is that they saw some background diabetic retinopathy which does not need to be treated but should be looked at on a regular basis. If there is something that poses a risk to your vision, there are treatments.

• Tony B
      1 month agoReport

Since the NHS is mentioned I'm assuming it's the UK. I've had lots of NHS letters and they always say what the appointment is for and who referred me.

• Hockey

Go. See. A. Doctor.

Who goes for an eye exam down the local library? I go to Specsavers or Boots, but I digress. 

If you are concerned about your eyes and want to know why you have to go to an eye hospital, instead of worrying and expecting us to metaphorically pat you on the head and say "there there", why dont you grow a pair, phone your doctor's surgery and ask them?

Do you seriously think anyone else enjoys being summoned to hospital? Going to see doctors, nurses and other clinical staff?

Ask a real doctor.