promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Does this sentence make sense?

"I'm, that's why everything. I'm not, there is nothing."

(I mean I'm here in this universe, that's why everything exists, If I weren't, there would be nothing)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Just to explain what the others told you. We only contract verbs when there's something after them.  Contractions are the result of stress-timing in English, where we rush over the small, structure words to get to the content words. In a sentence such as "I am going to the store", the stress is on "go" and "store". Everything else gets pushed together, so it sounds like "I'm going t'th store."

Without anything after it, the correct way to say what you're saying is "I am" and "I am not".

"that's why everything" doesn't make any sense.

"there is nothing" makes sense. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • blank
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Others have helped you to properly correct the sentence / statement structure.

Me - I am just going to thank you for the philosophical rabbit hole you just sent my down.  

Was going to give you gas along the lines of "really, YOU are the center of the universe?"   But then I pondered your existence if I, or anyone else was, the originating mind.  

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only to a limited degree. Are you saying, I am and that's why there is anything? In this context, using a contraction (I'm) does not clarify meaning.

• 1 month ago

it makes little sense to me as I try to read it.  Maybe in the context of a discussion, and presented orally, I could get the meaning.  Perhaps.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

No. Consider Descartes: I think therefore I am.  

It simply wouldn't work if it was: I think therefore I'm.

So, no contactions.

I am; therefore everything else is.

The converse is not necessary.

• 1 month ago

"I'm, that's why everything. I'm not, there is nothing." Makes no sense. 

"I'm here in this universe, that's why everything exists, If I weren't, there would be nothing." Makes more sense. But unicorns don't exist so the concept isn't 100% true.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.