Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 month ago

Want to learn kickboxing!?

I want to learn kickboxing, but I don't want to compete. Only taking it for self defense and fitness purposes. Does this require me to fight amateur matches and whatnot to learn it?

Competition is not mandatory.  Although, if you are taking it for self defense, you really should at least spar to get some experience of fists and feet coming at your face.  You don't want to learn that lesson when you need it.

You don't have to compete, a school should never try and force you to. Plenty of people train at fighting gyms and don't want to actually fight. Make sure though when looking for kickboxing classes you look or actual Muay Thai Kickboxing and not Cardio Kickboxing which is strictly used for fitness and doesn't teach proper self defense techniques.

• Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

good answer& good point; also, western type KBxng can be good, though its a sport; maybe try find a place thats notsports based; specialised sports seek,& have timed matches,weight classes, exclude countertechniquesto excluded techniques, typically one to one, nice surfaces; sd, awareness, avoidance

When I first learned martial arts I didn't compete. Then, I wanted to compete later on. I learned judo, jiu jitsu and then kickboxing. I got really good an in confidence I competed against others after there was no one in the gym the could beat me. That took a year. It's up to you... It took about a month of kickboxing to beat everyone. heck we would sometimes do 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1 or 4 vs 1. Once 5 vs 1. I'd win those too! So it depends on how you train. Who you train with... You know? You don't have to compete though. I know people who don't compete and they're pretty good. 

• Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

interesting answer; also, authentic places can be noncompetitve places & are more re personal development & technical development