promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do you have to report Uber income less than $600 on your taxes? ?

I have very little income from my time as an Uber driver. A coworker of mine told me that I don't have to report anything less than $600. Just trying to figure out if that's true. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Unless that is you ONLY income for the year, you are legally required to report it.

If it is your ONLY income, you don't have to file for less than $400.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

All income is supposed to be reported, there's no minimum 'oh, that's free'.

• 1 month ago

Yes, you must report ALL of your income on your tax return. Your coworker is incorrect. Uber does not have to send you a 1099 if you made under $600, that is separate from your requirement to report the income.

• 1 month ago

It is not true. $600 is the cut for the payer reporting it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yes if it's over $400, or if you have other income also that requires you to file, or if you do file for any reason. Your coworker is confused. If you made under $600 total for the year, UBER is not required to send you any tax paperwork - it does not affect what YOU are required to do.

• NA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The $600 rule applies to the payer, not you.

If you only had Uber and made $400 or more, *you* are required to file.

If less than $400 and you had enough to file from other income, you must include it.

• Brian
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If that is all you made, then no.  However, if you also made money with other jobs or received money through other means that totaled combined of 5000 or more then yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.