Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 1 month ago

Is London safe for a 17 year old boy alone?

Hello. I am a 17 year old boy and will be going to London by myself this Saturday as my parents will no longer be able to come with me.

I want to know if it's safe or if there is likely to be somebody harassing me. I am going to areas like Kensington and West Hampstead, as well as travelling on the busses and underground network. I do not want to be trapped on a train with some person trying to harass me in a tunnel. I know everything is possible, I just want somebody to tell me who lives in London if this happens a lot and if it is likely to happen to me. Thank you.

You’re visiting nice/ touristy parts of the city so it’s unlikely that anything could happen. 

I’ve traveled alone around London since, I was about 12/13 especially, that’s where I grew up. 

• PAMELA

London is quite safe, just do not walk along talkng on your mobile phone, look up and look where you are going, you will be fine.

That will depend on your common sense.

• Tavy

Teenagers live in London, they go to school there every day, travel on tubes and buses.

There is not mass slaughter is there.

Grow a pair.

You will be fine. Nothing will happen. Just relax. If London is really unsafe then no one would be going there.

Somebody like who is going to harass you? You sound like an idiot. Best stay at home with mummy and daddy

• Anon1 month agoReport

Geez, anybody going to a big city for the first time by themselves is going to be a little nervous. Cut them some slack.

That sort of thing could happen anywhere. Just mind your own business and i'm sure you'll be fine.

• Cara

My son got himself around all the main areas of London from the age of 13. Buses and tubes are all safe during the day, and mostly in the evenings as well, though you might encounter a few drunks after dark, but they are unlikely to do you any harm.

• Cara
      1 month agoReport

Then, of course, came school activities and other outside interests, and later university. Is that "browsing London streets"? You are perhaps implying something disreputable, but I don't know why you should. London is a perfectly respectable place for ordinary people.

• Clive

No problem.  After all, there are 18 year old students living there who get on perfectly well getting around on their own.

Plus you're planning to be in nice areas, so you will be fine.

It's not inherently unsafe, and if you're travelling during the day to places like Kensington you're unlikely to have any issues.