If I don’t pick up my car from the tow yard after my accident what happens?

I bought a car from an auction with an absent title. The day after I bought it I crashed it and totaled it. (I don’t want it anymore). I needed to get personal belongings out of it when I got out the Hospital so I was told I’d have to register it in my name as a non op to get my stuff out. When I went to pick up my personal belongings, they let me get them but made me aware that I can’t sign the car over to the tow yard if it’s a non op.. now that it’s registered in my name technically, what will happen if I don’t pick up the car at all. Could I fight it later on since it was registered in someone else’s name and is an old car ? I don’t have the funds and won’t until I get back to work. I need advice please.

You have to pay them for storing it for each day that it is there.

Storage fees will accrue until the tow yard decides to dispose of the car.  That time varies by State.

You will be response for the tow and storage fees, and tow yards routinely get personal judgments against customers.

Registration is immaterial.  Title is what counts.

• May

If you don't pick up the car, the tow yard will continue to assess charges and fees.  Eventually, they will junk the car and you will still owe them for all of those charges and fees plus the cost to them of disposing of the car

You won't get away with pointing out it was someone else's car when you crashed.    In fact if you pulled that trick, it would backfire and you could be charged with driving a car without the owners permission.  Don't even think of doing that.

My advice:  Borrow the money, and get your car out of there....Yesterday !   or  ASAP.    

"When you find yourself in a hole......stop digging" !

• juan1 month agoReport

Thank you!!!

The tow yard will charge you for towing and impound fees.  If you do not get your car, you will be getting a hefty bill soon.  You will need to get it, title it in your name and take it to a salvage yard.