Can managers ask you to refer friends to work?

Is it legal to practice this? I was asked twice to refer friends to work here (i work at fast food). I don't want to refer my friends because 1) I don't have people who I talk to like that. And 2) the workplace is extremely toxic. Even if I did have friends I would never want them to have to go through I have to. My manager has been extremely pushy towards me. I just want to quit. I feel like she is pushing her power or boundaries a bit too far. I just keep telling her I have a few people who could possibly come here to work or "I'll see". I'm going to apply pretty soon to pretty much everywhere except here.

It's perfectly legal. Many fast food parent companies give out bonuses to managers who get their employees to refer other workers. That's because there is such a high turnover in fast food with employees and they constantly need new people to replace older ones who quit after only a few months or weeks of employment. That said, you're under no obligation to refer anyone, especially if the work environment is not great. 

Just ignore your manager's pushiness. Do your job and look for something else. But if you do find something, and you're interviewed, you should not tell your prospective new employer that you worked in a "toxic" environment or that your manager was too "pushy."  That's not going to win you any brownie points with a new manager or new job. Nor will it improve conditions at the old place for those who stay. Also, if you get a new fast-food job, you should probably expect the same sort of program for referrals. There isn't any reason you should be unhappy at your job, so look for something that will suit you better. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 30 years

steve, quite simply don't allow your friends to work there or tell them anything great about the place.

Its absolutely legal to ask, just tell your boss they wouldnt want to employ your friends. 

They need people, why would it be illegal to ask?  

Or, tell them you mentioned it to your friends and they arent interested...

If you want to quit, quit...sounds like fast food is having trouble finding employees where you are, so you should be able to easily jump from McDonalds to Burger King or whatever.  

• Ann

Of course it is legal, obviously they need more workers, just tell her you shared the information with your friends and it is up to them to apply or not. No explanations or apologies to her are needed.

• It's legal, they can ask but you don't have to accept it. Your manager is just looking to recruit more people. If you get benefits, some places offer you extra money if a friend of yours actually gets hired. I don't have a lot of friends out side of work either, but managers have never asked me about that. Usually you go to your manager and tell them if you have a friend that wants to work with you.

• Katie

Yes they can, but your friends don't have to apply.

Notice the word "ask", you might want to look up its meaning.

Why don't you refer your enemies, and say that they are your friends? That way, the manager thinks that you did what you were asked to do, someone you don't like gets stuck with a bad job working in the toxic place, and your real friends don't get bothered.

It's perfectly legal. If you don't want to, just tell him that your friends all have jobs and they aren't interested in working here. End of story.

Of course it's legal, your opinion on the workplace is irrelevant. Someone else might feel different to you.

• Ding Dong
      1 month agoReport

Well it's fine employers do it all the time, some even say refer a friend and you get a bonus. It's better than grabbing someone off the street, you won't recommend someone who is bad, would you?