Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 month ago

Why doesn't YA do a better job of filtering out these dumb questions I keep seeing on this website?!?

• .

"Dumb" is subjective and questions aren't filtered on whether or not they are sensible. If you see violations, report them. THAT'S how questions get removed from the site. The computer system running YA doesn't know "dumb" (your definition or mine).

• Lili

There's no "filter" and no moderators whose job it is to censor questions or block them from being posted.

I can't imagine why you thought otherwise.

Users can report, but reporting hasn't really accomplished anything in years.

• Zirp

Because it doesn't do that job at all. There have been rumours about a filter for years, but I've seen zero evidence that it exists.

Like son of T3 says: computers aren't smart enough to determine whether a question is "dumb", and Verizon is not willing to spend money on humans

Just because YOU think they're stupid doesn't mean that they are. 

The site "self-moderates" by giving users the report option. When enough people report, the q goes down. Yrs. ago, it only took a couple reports but that was abused. I don't know how many reports it is today but I think it's too many. I'd like to see YA elevate trusted users w/ a "stall" stamp on BS q that need some verification. That gives the asker a chance to add to their q. The stamp option alone would discourage child play, The spirit of the forum works. YA is soft to encourage bigger numbers (more q/users). It's all about the money and what can we expect for free?

• Daniel

Yahoo Staffs does not Moderate the Boards the Community Does that's the Problem they don't want to Pay anyone to do it them Self's

Because if they filtered out the DUMB questions........there wouldn't be any questions here to answer anymore.   Maybe just 1 or 2. ...and that would cause the site to grind to a halt. 

As far as I know it's community policed which means the users flag questions. For reasons unknown some questions get deleted faster than others. Yahoo clearly has a system in place but they won't reveal how it works. I think having moderators would improve the site. Maybe like Stackoverflow where members in certain standing can run for moderator and vote in the yearly election. Those moderators also do the job for free.

Because silly questions are fun!

Because some are legitimate questions and other times they have not gotten the chance to delete troll posts.